Graphic Card

Z

zairo

Ok, I am looking to get my first mac. I am about to order the mac pro and I had a question. I just for my pc got a Radeon XT1900 card and was wondering would this card be able to go into my new mac pro? Thank for any help in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
No, you would have to flash the BIOS on the PC X1900 into a Mac ROM. You cannot use PC video cards in a Mac or else you will get a black or blank screen or severe artifacts (random colors all over the place). If you do use a PC video card in the Mac Pro, it will work when you use Boot Camp to run Windows XP natively, but it will not operate properly to be usable in OSX and getting it all set up with all those artifacts is pretty difficult.

OP
Z

zairo

SuB8HaVeN said:
No, you would have to flash the BIOS on the PC X1900 into a Mac ROM. You cannot use PC video cards in a Mac or else you will get a black or blank screen or severe artifacts (random colors all over the place). If you do use a PC video card in the Mac Pro, it will work when you use Boot Camp to run Windows XP natively, but it will not operate properly to be usable in OSX and getting it all set up with all those artifacts is pretty difficult.

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
What about taping contacts?

Also , why would it only work under XP and not OSX? i thought half of the problem when we had this on PPC was the fact that the PPC arcitecture was completely different.

OP
B

bfx

The Mac cards use an on-board bios that has twice the capacity of the PC card BIOS.

At least they did from Intel.

bfx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.