Dying pixels?

Reaction score
I have 2 red pixels that don't go away when I have machine on? I take a print screen and they're not there?

Have 2 pixels died? Can i save them? Or should I cry?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
how old is your screen?

and yes, it sounds like those pixels have gone to pixel heaven.

OP
L
Reaction score
About 3 weeks old............

Reaction score
Try delicately rubbing over them with your finger and then reboot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yes as mr bobbins said sometimes you can "massage the dead pixels" in order to get them to become less noticible. i dont know how exactly this works but sometimes it does the trick.

remember that pressing on your lcd is not good for it so do it extremely carefully...what you will hope for in doing this is a) the pixels begin working again or b) next time they come up as green/black/some other color that is less noticible

there is no reason to cry though, out of the millions of pixels that are in your lcd there are a certain amount that can fail...

if they are located near eachother or if they are in the main viewing portion of the screen a company may replace your lcd for you free of charge

hope this helps...and remember it cant hurt to call up apple or bring it to the store to see what they can do for you... also i believe you are still in the time frame where you can return your computer to apple if they can not solve this problem for you, you can then buy a new one and i think you will lose like 10% on that deal for restocking fee's or something like that
-chris

OP
L
Reaction score
There are 2 pixels (both red), about 2.5cms apart from each other both at the top just off centre.

Going to ring Apple on Monday and see what they say...

:( :(

Reaction score
Good luck at the apple store.

I have a dead pixel in my screen as well, also red and just off the centre bottom right. This one has appeared a month ago and I've tried massaging it and talking in a nice soft fluffy voice to it. I've even tried meditative thought repulsion but its still there. So anyway, it's possible that more appear over the years. It's one of the failings of LCD technology. Still the rest of the screen is fine. :cool:

Reaction score
Dead pixels imo are unacceptable. Lcd is not a new technology anymore so that excuse just doesn't wash. You pay several thousand dollars for something it shouldn't have "dead" anything.

OP
L
Reaction score
Rang up today to discuss the problem. Went through steps to make sure it was the hardware that was the problem, and not the software.

It is the hardware that is the problem - Been told to take it to my local aftersales support place to get it looked into further, but as I can't go without a machine, and the pixels at the top aren't in my eyeline and annoying me I said I'd leave it until later.

The guy made a note of it via my case reference number to show that Ive rang up a month-ish after I got my iMac shows that I've had the problem for a while should I want it looked into further/replaced a year or so down the line.

Well worth buying the Apple Care warranty is all I can say...

Jem

Reaction score
Liam said:
Well worth buying the Apple Care warranty is all I can say...

Sorry to ask a daft question, but... why?

A 3 week old machine with a problem doesn't require Apple Care to be repaired and (in my experience) electronic failures (usually) show up within the first few weeks of ownership.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with that widget though... are you going to try it out?

OP
L
Reaction score
Not just that reason above Jem, something else could break a year or so down the line...then thankfully I'll be covered...

And yes, sorry, I used the pixel thing and it sadly didn't work.

Liam

Jem

Reaction score
Oh well :( sounded too good to be true - not that I've got any problems at the moment but would've been a handy bookmark to keep just in case.

Sorry for questioning your statement, I just read that line above in connection with this 1 issue. I'm always against spending extra on warranties (cars, computers, electrical goods, whatever) but that's my personal choice and I realise a lot of people like the warm hug of a good warranty.

I've never had much joy from manufacturer help lines, most forums on the net can give you more information than they can and as for breakages, well, I load up my house insurance to cover that eventuality. :)

Reaction score
cjay said:
Dead pixels imo are unacceptable. Lcd is not a new technology anymore so that excuse just doesn't wash. You pay several thousand dollars for something it shouldn't have "dead" anything.

OK, and for those of us living in the real world.

Reaction score
Mr Bobbins said:
OK, and for those of us living in the real world.

Huh?

I'm in the real world too. You can accept it. Good luck to ya. I don't and for the notebook and lcd that had dead pixels I demanded replacements and got them. Why do you think certain companies are releasing lcds with zero dead pixel policies? More and more people in the real world are demanding quality for their real dollars.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yet another one appeared.

Green this time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.