• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Playing .avi/Xvid/DivX files through Front Row From Another Computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey guys,

I didn't know if this would be useful to anyone but I thought I would post it anyway just in case...

The problem:

I have a lot of media files in .avi/Xvid & DivX format that simply won't import into iTunes. I want to be able to keep these files on the HD of my Windows PC but be able to watch them through Front Row.

Solution:

Mount the volume on your Mac, once mounted locate & open your "Movies" folder in Finder and simply create an Alias of the mounted folder within the Movies folder.

The Alias will always stay in the folder regardless of weather the volume is mounted or not so you don't have to keep creating an Alias each time.

All you do then is each time your Mac is turned on simply mount the volume (or if you leave your Mac on then leave the volume mounted) & every time you open Front Row it will see the volume and you can then access your media content. All streaming from another computer (in my case my Windows machine).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83ghz/1.5gb RAM/ Superdrive/ 1 TERAbyte of storage on firewire and a 22" Viewsonic LCD
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a macbook and am new to this whole mac thing, I want to play avi movies that are on my PC (because it has a 120GB HD) on my laptop but I havo no idea whatsoever of how to mount a volume, can you help me please?

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
frvjum, do you have a network set up?

If so, then all you need to do is:

1. On your PC, locate the folder that contains your video and set it up for sharing (right click, properties, sharing)

2. On your MAC, open finder, go to network (wait a second) and it should pop up with MSHOME (or whatever your default domain name is). Click the folder and you should find your PC in there. Click on the PC and a menu will open asking which folder you would like to connect to and mount. Simply choose the folder your video is in an hey presto. your good to go!

(p.s. if you have not got a home network set up, or are having difficulties with the instructions above, let me know and I will do my best to help)

Regards,

Chris :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.