Question about boot camp.

Reaction score
Ok, I did a search for this and couldn't find the answer, so here goes. I recently made the switch from windows to OS X. But I have a few PC games that I love still. So I was thinking of installing Boot camp and windows. But my question is. Will windows 98 work well with boot camp or is XP better?? The only reason I was going to use 98 is because the only version of XP I can get my hands on needs an online activation key.

OP
Katness
Reaction score
I meant to add, if no one can answer that question, then does anyone use windows 98 with boot camp and if so, have they had any problems?

I just realised that I may have posted this in the wrong section. If so feel free to move it. :)

Reaction score
Boot camp only works with Windows XP SP2 or later it will not work with Windows 98.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Hint: You can install Windows Xp on a few machines as long as there is a sufficient gap between them and still get passed the Online Activation Key.

OP
Katness
Reaction score
Ok this may make me sound idiotically dumb, but how? :confused:

*gets paranoid*

Hope I don't get into trouble for asking. Anyway, that tid bit of info just spiked my excitement level to the point I could just kiss ya or something. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I've done it before, especially after reformatting a hard drive and I had several problems with my Hard Drive so I ended up doing it about 5 times at least without having to contact anyone. BTW I use to mess around alot with my PC, it wasn't my Main One so it didn't matter.

But yea...Try it. Seriously worked fine for me anyway as I'm using that one for Boot Camp that I installed on that One PC which is currently out of commission so I can't see what might be illegal about it myself. I'm not buying a new Copy of Windows for every PC I use or If I decide to change PC...I'm not made of Money.

OP
Katness
Reaction score
Ok, I have a couple more questions. If I use my father's copy of windows xp. Will the registry thing think that my dad's system is not in use and wipe it if I installed his windows xp on my machine on boot camp?? Also, the version of xp I'm able to get my hands on has service pack 1. But I have a disk with SP2 on it. Is it possible to install SP2 separately or does it have to be in the one package?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not promoting the use of Illegally gained copies ;)

You should have no problems running these two over the same network, your computer will not exchange such detailed Information, as far as I know, and it will most certainly not delete your OS.

The Disk has to be SP2 as far as I am aware you can not use a copy of SP1. However I'm sure someone else might be able to find a solution for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.