Data/file transfers

Reaction score
Have a new Intel G5, just arrived. Have just managed to revive my G4 using Disk Warrior and need to transfer 'work files' from the G4 to the G5, before fitting a new HD to the G4 (as Disk Warrior techies suggest the G4 HD is damaged and unstable).

I have a firewire cable. Would it be possible to connect the two by firewire and transfer 'stuff' across? If so, some guidance on how to do it would be much appreciated.

cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
(Compulsary nitpicking: The new intel isn't a G5, it's not a PowerPC chip, it's just an 'intel mac' - no numbers :) - sorry about that).

But on to your question: :)

When you boot your new mac for the first time, the setup wizard will ask you if you want to transfer your files from a previous mac.

Basically plug in the firewire cable, power on the G4 and hold down the 't' key. The firewire symbol will appear on the screen and you the assistant will transfer all of the data.

If you want to do it later instead, just complete the setup normally without transferring data and go to applications->utilities and select 'migration assistant'. That will let you transfer the data later as well.

OP
G
Reaction score
I stand corrected, thanks for the reply.

The Intel machine is already set up so we're at your second option. I've connected the firewire cable and booted both machines, should I see each PC on the screen of the other?

OP
G
Reaction score
Actually, I've now got the Migration Assistant working. However, it seems to want to migrate a User and isn't offering to let me select what I transfer??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When you first boot the new machine it will do that. If you finish booting the new machine and skip that, and get to the Desktop you can boot the old machine as instructed above and it's HDD should show up on your new desktop. Then you can just pull over whatever files you want without migration assistant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, migration assistant is for migrating user accounts, so if you pick one it'll manually transfer all your settings, data and apps.

But if you boot the G4 with the 't' button held at startup, its harddrive will show up on the new mac's desktop and you can manually drag stuff over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.