• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

More people switching due to Vista?

S

SilverBlade

Does anyone think that more people will switch to Mac from PC, due to the obscene restrictions being programmed into Vista?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What "Insane restrictions" are you speaking of?

OP
S

SilverBlade

baggss said:
What "Insane restrictions" are you speaking of?

Security restrictions (not allowing other software companies access to the kernal, to make software like Norton Antivirus).

Also, only allowing users to transfer the license to one more computer beyond the initial installation. Upgrading the motherboard or CPU would be viewed as a 'new system'..and the user would have to buy a new license for Vista to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
vistas system requirements are quite high. if one installs it on average PC there will be very limited resources left for any other program. most people will not be able to use those "bells and jingles" that supposedly make vista "cool"

plus all these so called sequrity "enhancements", give me a break! you cannot spend 10 minutes on vista without going through 10 different alert and warning pop-ups. beleive me people will get so frustrated by this they will turn the darn thing off after half an hour.
here is the cnet review of vista http://news.com.com/1606-2-6124945.html?tag=st.rb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmmm....

I think more "techies" might switch because of Vista, but the average joe probably won't switch away because of it.

-It looks slicker, so the visual difference is not as large as it used to be.
-Average consumers will buy it pre-installed and won't need to transfer it to different machines anway - so the restrictions and high price aren't much of an issue to them.

But overall I think that Microsoft's image has been somewhat tarnished with the problems that XP had (again experienced users might not have run into issues, but most average users sure did) and since users are going to have to switch from XP to vista anyway, perhaps more will consider OS X as an alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SilverBlade said:
Security restrictions (not allowing other software companies access to the kernal, to make software like Norton Antivirus).

Also, only allowing users to transfer the license to one more computer beyond the initial installation. Upgrading the motherboard or CPU would be viewed as a 'new system'..and the user would have to buy a new license for Vista to use it.

Just wanted to clarify what you were talking about, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
SilverBlade said:

I really didn't know that...Although I've already switched it might stop me from Upgrading my Current Vista Build to an actual Vista Copy...Might just downgrade it to XP if that's the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Security companies can access the kernal via a API, which as far as I know they do not have yet but will once they need it. To be fair to MS, the OneCare program does not access the Kernal, it sits as a layer of protection on top of it.

The security warnings when opening a program have and will be toned down before release, because of complaints from the Beta 2 and RC1. Apparently its much better in RC2.

It seems much more like Mac OS X because it controls your use more, though it does it a lot more apparently than in Mac OS X.

Either way it looks great to me and I will certainly look into upgrading my old PC too it. I love Mac OS X but if Vista turns out good I will certainly be buying it.

As for people switching too it, well I doubt many people will, they will just adapt, especially once it becomes a corporate and school standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The corporate folks are going to be the hard sell. We still use Win2K at work and are being told we "might" switch to WinXP next year and that there are no plans to move to Vista in the next 5 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
baggss said:
The corporate folks are going to be the hard sell. We still use Win2K at work and are being told we "might" switch to WinXP next year and that there are no plans to move to Vista in the next 5 years.

Indeed, although it probably depends which area they work in, and whether they see a benefit. I believe many of the schools in my area are planning on switching to Vista at the end of 07 to beginning of 08, large businesses may take longer though.

Reaction score
Marl Huss said:
Indeed, although it probably depends which area they work in, and whether they see a benefit. I believe many of the schools in my area are planning on switching to Vista at the end of 07 to beginning of 08, large businesses may take longer though.

That sounds logical - businesses are spending their money - schools are spending someone elses money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Marl Huss said:

Schools, well in the UK anyway, are normally the last to switch my College still uses Windows 2000. The schools especially large ones don't upgrade all machines they do it gradually which can often end up taking a couple of years. So it will be a long time before all my College has Vista we don't even have XP yet :(

OP
D

dnordquist

Switchers probably overestimate the number of their peers that will soon join them, for any reason. But I switched in the past month, and I have to say that seeing and using Vista, viewed as a representative sample of what Microsoft has planned for us all, made me look real hard at MacBooks when the time came to buy a new laptop.

Most people never buy an operating system without a new machine. Vista doesn't appear right now to have anything compelling for upgraders, but I suppose that might change. So people won't be "driven" to Macs by Vista, but they might take another look at Macs once the tech folks get to them about the new rules.

But I'm probably overestimating that effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
So people won't be "driven" to Macs by Vista, but they might take another look at Macs once the tech folks get to them about the new rules.

Exactly, every time I ask someone about what they will do when Vista comes out (after I've explained Vista to them) most just say they will stick with XP for the moment, MS biggest problem really is getting people to move up to the new OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BIG D 04 said:
Schools, well in the UK anyway, are normally the last to switch my College still uses Windows 2000. The schools especially large ones don't upgrade all machines they do it gradually which can often end up taking a couple of years. So it will be a long time before all my College has Vista we don't even have XP yet :(
Really, ah the ones in my area all have had XP for a while now, thats probably because all the local businesses especially Vodafone donate alot of money, I guess thats to maintain image, and so they could get permission to build their HQ on greenfield land.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The thing about Vista is that there's different versions. The lower editions don't have the new graphical effects, which are standard fare nowadays. These are the prices:

Retail:
Ultimate $399.00 (£325)
Business $299.00 (£250)
Home Premium $239.00 (£184.99)
Home Basic $199.00 (£154.99)

£154 for something that is very similar to XP and £185 for a few graphical bells and whistles that should be standard anyway is ludicrous.

£85 for Tiger on Amazon, less on ebay (I added this fact onto the Wikipedia page, although anything I add to the Windows page always gets taken off within 24 hours!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a very good point Alexis, Windows are charging in my view a bit much for there OS's but I see the only way round it is picking yourself up an OEM edition then everyones laughing :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
From a consumer standpoint, I see no reason to upgrade from XP. I can understand the jump from Windows 98 or 2000 to XP, but the jump from XP to Vista is harder for me to comprehend. XP SP2 is pretty dang stable as far as Windows operating systems goes. It looks nice, runs fast, handles memory better, and crashes less than previous versions of Windows. Why "upgrade" to Vista?

Since Microsoft is a company, they need to continually release new products and therefore create and sell new versions of Windows. All I see with Vista is "bling" - a nice, new, shiny interface and not much else. Personally I don't even like the interface that much; it looks like a newbie theme-maker tried to copy OS X and added lots of transparent effects and shiny buttons.

With Mac I see things done right. The next release, Leopard, isn't a significant operating system overhaul - it's just minor upgrades and a some new applications here and there. Nifty iChat effects, a new backup system, better search, etc. The operating system already works great and lets me work without worrying about the system. I call my Mac my "headache-free system". I only wish that I had switched sooner...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
All I see with Vista is "bling" - a nice, new, shiny interface and not much else. Personally I don't even like the interface that much; it looks like a newbie theme-maker tried to copy OS X and added lots of transparent effects and shiny buttons.

Which is why I'd be happy to pay £85, but no more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Like another posted before...I don't see people flocking to the stores to grab vista. A lot of average PC users probably won't even know about it until:

1. they buy a computer that has it pre-installed

2. someone they know buys a computer with it pre-installed and they use it. Then after that they will probably have a hard time forking out the cash to upgrade.

In the end I am confident that Leopard is going to be superior to vista but I don't see vista having weak sales considering MS's marketshare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.