• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

More people switching due to Vista?

OP
S

Sarah

I'm some what of a PC enthusiast. Although I'm expecting to delve into MAC's when I get a laptop.

Either way, having seen the sneak Peak of Leopard - it looks lovely compared to XP or anything I've seen of Vista.

Having machines now that can have Windows and MAC together (Bootcamp or whatever) I think will help and indeed encourage many people to go over to MAC in time if they feel as impressed with the visuals and gadgets as I am.

OP
E

exvor

Why exactly would I switch hardware because of an OS update ?? Windows is not PC. there are other fine examples of operating systems out there includeing FreeBSD, Linux, Minux, OpenBSD, NextStep <-- this is acutally what mac os is :). Did you know that Mac OS X had to be rewritten to actually work on a mac. Are you aware that it was orginally a PC operating system called next step.

Having machines now that can have Windows and MAC together (Bootcamp or whatever) I think will help and indeed encourage many people to go over to MAC in time if they feel as impressed with the visuals and gadgets as I am.

Not if they have any intellegence they wont waste the money.

Im sorry but this is what discourages me buying a mac every time. My exwife has one and were good friends still. Yea its flashy yea its cute but my $900 PC laptop crushes it performace wise using linux. I have no problems that so called PC owners have. and my laptop was alot cheeper too. Only good thing i gotta say about her computer is that it has a PowerPC chip. The newer macs dont even have that anymore. So its basicly an expensive PC with inferior hardware.

OP
Q

Quruli

Well first your comparng a PowerC with a laptop, also inferiour tech ok, whatever.

I agree that PCs are fine, but Windows is a nanny system and XP SP2 is nice and stable and upgrading people to Vista will be hard as ****. I am testing beta on my Windows machine and I have to say its nothing great and the cost and the ending of support for XP will end on Vista release. But yeah most users wont care about this as they will buy a new machine. Just the minimum specs take the P**s they really do. I have used linux but I consider myself semi techy, I know what I am dong on a machine but when it comes to coding I really fall asleep. Linux is good, I rate ubuntu very highly, but I like to play games without spending a week typing code into a terminal and there are always Hardware support issues with linux. But linux communities are the best out there.

This is what prompted my switch a few months ago to a slow machine, and soon a macbook pro, power, support, software and OS X is great. Not to mention the little extra like isight cameras.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.