Possible virus?

Reaction score
Hi, I got a new MacBook over the summer, and I love it. It has 2.0 Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM. The problem is that it runs too slow most of the time, and is constantly thinking. Do I maybe have a virus? I'm on an iMac right now, and it's running uber fast, with 1.83Ghz processor and 1Gb of RAM. Do I just need to increase the amount of RAM?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There are NO viruses for Mac OS X.
What applications are you running that you perceive to be slow?
If you are running apps under Rosetta, then you are going to see a strain on your resources with only 512MB of RAM.

OP
K
Reaction score
What is Rosetta? I usually have Safari, Mail, and iTunes running pretty much all the time, and also MS Word, and occasionally azureus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, MS Office apps and Azureus are not Universal yet. They are going to be running under Rosetta.
I would suggest more system RAM in your case. 1 GB should do you fine.
:black:

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I was planning on getting 2Gb so that I could run Parallels too, I have it but I don't use it 1. because it's sooo slow, and 2. because I really don't need to use Windows....ever

Reaction score
Interesting. So is Rosetta an API implementation, similar to WINE, or is it a virtualization layer? I'm speculating that it is the latter.

Either way, thanks for that information. Very educational. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
There are things I've seen people mention to keep the Mac healty.

There are early morning jobs that run. See these links for more info.
link 1
link 2

Also Safari's cache has needed clearing in the past. Perhaps Apple fixed that problem. I just don't know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.