Help Converting MP3 Bitrate in iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB memory 320GB hard drive
I wanted to convert all my MP3's in iTunes to 160kbps.

Is it a good idea to convert a 192kbps song to 160kbps, and/or a 96kbps song to 160kbps?

Or do I loose song quality by converting it up or down?

And is there anyway to select multiple songs at a time in itunes instead of holding down the command key and click each song individually?

Thank you all.

S

sursuciofla

Spaceman said:
I wanted to convert all my MP3's in iTunes to 160kbps.

Is it a good idea to convert a 192kbps song to 160kbps, and/or a 96kbps song to 160kbps?

Or do I loose song quality by converting it up or down?
You lose quality whenever you go down and you can't make a low bitrate higher quality. 160 is okay, 192 is probably the better option.

And is there anyway to select multiple songs at a time in itunes instead of holding down the command key and click each song individually?
Yes, SHIFT + Click

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
You lose quality whenever you go down and you can't make a low bitrate higher quality. 160 is okay, 192 is probably the better option.

Yes, SHIFT + Click

Thanks for the SHIFT + Click TIP! But when in iTunes I go to ADVANCED and click on 'Convert Selection to MP3' and when I do that for a song that's 112kbps it converts it to 160kbps. But you say you can't make a low bitrate song higher. So my question is, how is this possible then?

S

sursuciofla

Spaceman said:
Thanks for the SHIFT + Click TIP! But when in iTunes I go to ADVANCED and click on 'Convert Selection to MP3' and when I do that for a song that's 112kbps it converts it to 160kbps. But you say you can't make a low bitrate song higher. So my question is, how is this possible then?

It may say that but it doesn't mean it happened. Just like I can go into photoshop and change 72 dpi to 300 dpi.....but it it still 72 dpi no matter what number I change. You can't make low quality into high quality. Higher quality can be compressed to lower quality just because the info is there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
It may say that but it doesn't mean it happened. Just like I can go into photoshop and change 72 dpi to 300 dpi.....but it it still 72 dpi no matter what number I change. You can't make low quality into high quality. Higher quality can be compressed to lower quality just because the info is there.

Ok... So even though the song goes from 112kbps to 160 kbps and changes from 3.1MB to 4.4MB, it does not improve the song quality? It only makes the song a larger file? Thanks again.

S

sursuciofla

Spaceman said:
Ok... So even though the song goes from 112kbps to 160 kbps and changes from 3.1MB to 4.4MB, it does not improve the song quality? It only makes the song a larger file? Thanks again.

Yup, just a bigger file. A whole lotta nothin'.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sursuciofla said:
Yup, just a bigger file. A whole lotta nothin'.

Cool, thanks for the help. I will go ahead and downgrade anything over 160kbps to 160kbps. 160kbps is quality enough and anything over that I don't really need. I need to make room so I can fit more MP3's on my nano.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.