how to change ethernet address in imac

Reaction score
Hi!

I just bought a imac 17" C2D 2.0 ghz. I am completely new to mac, but quite enjoying the change here. I guess will take some time to get into mac mode completely.
Anyways, since I have been a windows user till now, my surfing happens on this windows XP machine--
1) my ? is - since my network provider has locked in/configured my windows "mac/ethernet address", I can access net thru windows machine only.
2)Now without going in for a second connection or going for a static IP to use both the computers. Is there any way out??? If sharing is the solution pls pls guide me PC to mac ......net connection
3) Is it possible to change mac address on imac OS X and if yes how???

thanks so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What kind of connection do you have?
I would imagine that all you would need is a router, I can't see any provider being so strict as to limit your connection to one and only one machine.
You cannot change the MAC address on a machine as it is a unique identifier for each machine. There are ways to spoof it and make it appear differently on certain networks, but not change it. That wouldn't help your situation anyway.
If you don't have a router and would like to use your Mac with your current connection, all you would have to do is power-cycle your modem before you connect your Mac.

OP
K
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
What kind of connection do you have?
I would imagine that all you would need is a router, I can't see any provider being so strict as to limit your connection to one and only one machine.
You cannot change the MAC address on a machine as it is a unique identifier for each machine. There are ways to spoof it and make it appear differently on certain networks, but not change it. That wouldn't help your situation anyway.
If you don't have a router and would like to use your Mac with your current connection, all you would have to do is power-cycle your modem before you connect your Mac.

Hi!!

I am connected to broadband thru cable directly. My network providers have basically done this " one connection one pc" cause there are some so called hackers trying to access the net for their benefit so my NP's have given each of us a small client login software from which I have to login to access the net which in turn communicates with the server which has my MAC address in their database Phew!!!

Anyways the point is, this is the present scenario. Even my laptop denied me access to the net due to this MAC addy problem. But changing the MAC address is as easy as 123 in WINDOWS .....and guess wat it did work!!!

Now when I enquired with my Network Provider's - if I want I could take a static IP which could allow me access from both PC and Mac for which I have to pay ( which I don't mind ) That's the reason I was wondering, is there any other way.......

Thanks
Kaps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Seriously, get a different ISP...

That's the most ridiculous policy I've heard in a long time...

Jem

Reaction score
kaps said:
Anyways the point is, this is the present scenario. Even my laptop denied me access to the net due to this MAC addy problem. But changing the MAC address is as easy as 123 in WINDOWS .....and guess wat it did work!!!

I heard there were hacker utils to do this, but can you tell me the "easy as 123" method in Windows cos I'm genuinely curious about this?

OP
K
Reaction score

Jem

Reaction score
Ummm yeah, interesting links, but unless I'm missing something obvious, neither of them explains how to spoof your MAC address as easy as 123 in Windows...

Reaction score
Jem said:
Ummm yeah, interesting links, but unless I'm missing something obvious, neither of them explains how to spoof your MAC address as easy as 123 in Windows...

can't you get a router and use that to spoof the MAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
kaps said:
I don't know whether the "1 connection 1 computer" policy is ridiculous or not but the reality is, it does exist which unfortunately I am part of.

take care

No, believe me - it is ridiculous... As more and more devices become internet aware, are you expected to rent connections for each of them?
One isp for my desktop, one for my laptop, one for my voip phone, one for the cable box with internet based program guide, etc etc... :)

The german telekom tried to enforce a similar policy a few years back.. they lost so many customers that they quickly reversed their policy and now let you use your connection the way you want to.

Best of luck trying to work around it though!

OP
K
Reaction score
Bossworld said:
can't you get a router and use that to spoof the MAC?

can I spoof with router? I am asking cause I am no networking wizard. let's c I am trying everything I can. If it works great!! As of now I am trying internal network with D-link 8 port switch

Aptmunich - I hope my network providers reverse their policy this "one connection one pc" policy is really bugging me now and irritating.

much thanks all

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MOST routers allow MAC address cloning. I know for sure every Linksys I have worked with has it and so did the Netgears I have set up. Dlink probably does also. You copy the MAC address from the PC that you used to set up your cable and paste it into the Router where it says Clone MAC Address. Then it will think the router is that computer. You can then connect your computers wired or wireless to the router and all will work. Here in Calif. a few Cable Companies do what yours is doing but most don't bother. Every time I have ran into it using MAC Cloning in the Router solved it.

I had one tell me that a 233 PII would not even run the internet off Cable because it was too slow. I told the dood he was NUTS and hung up and made it work my way! :spook:

OP
K
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
MOST routers allow MAC address cloning. I know for sure every Linksys I have worked with has it and so did the Netgears I have set up. Dlink probably does also. You copy the MAC address from the PC that you used to set up your cable and paste it into the Router where it says Clone MAC Address. Then it will think the router is that computer. You can then connect your computers wired or wireless to the router and all will work. Here in Calif. a few Cable Companies do what yours is doing but most don't bother. Every time I have ran into it using MAC Cloning in the Router solved it.

I had one tell me that a 233 PII would not even run the internet off Cable because it was too slow. I told the dood he was NUTS and hung up and made it work my way! :spook:

Hi

Thanks so much. I will defi try this one too

kaps

OP
K
Reaction score

Hi!!

Thanks so much. I bought a Netgear wireless router ( WGR614 ) set it up ( had to go thru the process 2/3 times but it works great now - wired and wireless too with imac.

take care
kaps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.