• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's share of U.S. PC market jumps to 6.1 percent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
From Apple Insider:

First on AI: Sales of Apple's Macintosh computers over the past twelve month's have grown faster than any other major PC manufacturer, boosting the company's share of the U.S. PC market to 6.1 percent, according to data released by Gartner on Wednesday.

Between the third calendar quarter of 2005 and the third quarter of 2006, Apple's U.S. Mac unit shipments grew 31 percent from 744,000 units to 975,000 units, preliminary data from the firm shows.

Apple's 6.1 percent share puts it right behind Gateway, whose 6.4 percent share allowed it to maintain its No. 3 position for U.S. PC shipments.

Dell held onto the No. 1 position in the U.S. PC market with a 32.1 percent share despite a 7.1 percent decline in shipments year-over-year. It was followed by HP, which grew its share of the market from 21.2 percent to 23 percent.

Behind Apple in fifth place was Toshiba, which shipped 813,000 units during the third quarter -- good enough for 5.1 percent share.

On the other hand, Apple did not place within the top five PC manufacturers worldwide, and therefore data on its worldwide market share and PC shipments was not included in Gartner's preliminary third quarter results.

"Since these are preliminary figures, we only have the top 5 vendors worldwide at this time and Apple was not in the top 5," a spokesperson for the firm told AppleInsider.

Gartner said Hewlett-Packard regained the No. 1 position for worldwide PC shipments in third quarter for the first time since the fourth quarter of 2003.

HP's 16.3 percent share was followed by Dell with 16.1 percent. Lenovo's 7.5 percent share, Acer's 5.9 percent and Toshiba's 4.3 percent rounded out the top five.

In total, Gartner said worldwide PC shipments totaled 59.1 million units in the third quarter of 2006, a 6.7 percent increase from the same period last year.

At the same time, the U.S. PC market experienced a year-over-year shipment decline of 2 percent. The last time the U.S. PC market suffered a decline in PC shipments was the second quarter of 2002, the firm said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Wow great news, although some people might not see it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It is good news. More Macs means more software development companies investing and more choice for Mac users. Ultimately it should lead to lower prices too.

I can't believe Dell's market share in this country... over priced, ugly and under powered. Ugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i can see it as a benifit and a disadvantage, we will get more notice, and more 3rd party programs,, but the possibility for more viruses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Wow great news, although some people might not see it that way.

True, but it's all good until it goes bad which may be never but then who knows.

Other wise this is great news.

Reaction score
There has been more interest from Windows users looking for a new computer in the MacBook Pro's than I have heard in years.

CSA

Reaction score
Sorry guys I don't believe Apple hype or marketing figures.
Im sure mac is going well but i think PC's and Windows are selling more to.
A lot of these new Mac owners are getting windows as well.

I dont know anyone who has purchased a Mac.( I know 3 guys in the last 2 months that got new PC's( I Tried to make them switch))
Appart from work and Uni I dont even know anyone with a Mac.
I heard Mac Osx market share is falling
Here
HERE
MARKET SHARE
I just wont believe stuff from Apple or Apple insider.
lets hope its true

Reaction score
funny, ive seen more pc's go out the window inthe past 2 months and macs coming into replace these puppies.

CSA

Reaction score
Ha. Wish I could say the same here.

Guess people with Macs are more likely to know other people with Macs.

I just find it strange that the US is the biggest market in the world and that Mac sales are supposed to be increasing in the US, yet Macs world wide market share is going down.

I cant understand why people would still buy PC's unless they are hardcore gamers or 3D designers??

I

InlineFive

I can't believe Dell's market share in this country... over priced, ugly and under powered. Ugh.

Actually that's not quite true, now that Apple uses Intel chips they are both very close to equal performers. And I find the new Optiplexs very svelte. :headphone

Reaction score
Actually that's not quite true, now that Apple uses Intel chips they are both very close to equal performers. And I find the new Optiplexs very svelte. :headphone

I agree, now I am thinking about getting a dell xps 700 instead of a new imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sorry guys I don't believe Apple hype or marketing figures.
Im sure mac is going well but i think PC's and Windows are selling more to.
A lot of these new Mac owners are getting windows as well.

Talk about anecdotal evidence!

according to data released by Gartner on Wednesday

And the source is quoted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I just find it strange that the US is the biggest market in the world and that Mac sales are supposed to be increasing in the US, yet Macs world wide market share is going down.

You shouldn't be surprised by that at all. As cheap PCs flood the 3rd world, of course their worldwide marketshare is going to rise. Apple is not about budget computing, most 3rd world people can't afford a Mac.

CSA

Reaction score
That has not thing to do with it.
3rd world counties are not a significant market if they can be called a market at all with so many millions of donations, (a lot from Bill himself) they have be flooded for a while.

To say Apples decline in world market share is because of these 3rd world countries sounds desperate and hopeful to say the least.

Actually sounds like Steve Jobs G5 bench marks or propaganda. I know Steve would claim these figures as market share if they were Apples but i hardly think Microsoft or any PC vendor is claiming any donations as market share. Even if they were plus any sales in 3rd world counries it would be drop in the bucket.

If you just had the market share for the G20 nations, Apple would still be losing market share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That has not thing to do with it.
3rd world counties are not a significant market if they can be called a market at all with so many millions of donations, (a lot from Bill himself) they have be flooded for a while.

To say Apples decline in world market share is because of these 3rd world countries sounds desperate and hopeful to say the least.

Actually sounds like Steve Jobs G5 bench marks or propaganda. I know Steve would claim these figures as market share if they were Apples but i hardly think Microsoft or any PC vendor is claiming any donations as market share. Even if they were plus any sales in 3rd world counries it would be drop in the bucket.

If you just had the market share for the G20 nations, Apple would still be losing market share.

I forgot, you must be some kind of genius computer analyst who knows the data for everything right? ;)

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm really sorry I missed joining this discussion before that guy got Banned. It could have been fun!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
is that last post by CSA the reason he was banned or was there more to it?

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple claimed that close to 50% of the Mac buyer at their retail stores were new Mac owners.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.