Mac Mini vs Firefox

Reaction score
I got a mac mini core solo a few days ago and I'm having a great time, but the system memory is VERY low. I've noticed especially that Firefox is a memory hog. What's a good web browsing alternative for this system (functionality vs memory use). Along side that however, upgrading memory in these systems is a pain, is it not? As I understand, it voids your warranty, is difficult to do, and even then, can I throw any kind of DDR ram in there or am I limited to certain apple ram (I'm a new switcher btw). Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro CD 2.16, 2GB ram, 256MB Video.
polakbob said:
I got a mac mini core solo a few days ago and I'm having a great time, but the system memory is VERY low. I've noticed especially that Firefox is a memory hog. What's a good web browsing alternative for this system (functionality vs memory use). Along side that however, upgrading memory in these systems is a pain, is it not? As I understand, it voids your warranty, is difficult to do, and even then, can I throw any kind of DDR ram in there or am I limited to certain apple ram (I'm a new switcher btw). Thanks for the help!

There is Safari and Opera for your alternitive web browsers.. I am normally switching between firefox and Safari.. (off the wall question to everyone else.. is Firefox a Universal Binary?)

The memory the mini uses is DDR2 667 Non-ECC. You would be fine getting any reputible brand (kingston, crucial, corsair) and be fine.. I would just stay away from the el cheapo brand, as it can be a hit or miss for system stability.

Installing the ram can be a pain, you have to "crack" open the case, but there are plenty of websites that give instructions to open it up. And unless apple changed its policy it would void your warranty.

OP
P
Reaction score
Are there more than one ram slots on the board or would i need to expand by adding a larger stick?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
polakbob said:
Are there more than one ram slots on the board or would i need to expand by adding a larger stick?

If you just got the coreduo mini, there are 2 slots in it.. I think some older ones had 1 slot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
polakbob said:
Actually, the core solo mini. I suppose there has to be a way to find out...

I looks like there are 2 memory slots in your solo model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
polakbob said:

Just one more thing I was looking at...
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

Firefox 1.5... does not seem to be a Universal Binary. The 2.0 is in beta, but looks like it is a universal binary.. That may give you a performance boost if you want to try out beta software. Can anyone back me up on that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i like safari, and firefox 2 RC3.
for me firfox 2 RC3 helps me alot because i really suck at spelling and has a built in spell check when typing. but i like the looks of safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Camino is my favourite browser. It is lightweight, simple and powerful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz
wouldn't know about the intel models polakbob, i have a g4 model myself. but from whats already been said, browser wise opera is my main browser - and to save some more memory you can turn off dashboard if you don't use it, the widgets take up cpu usage and memory too

L

Logan

By the way -- My Experiences with Opera were about the same as you described Firefox... Memory hog, I leave my browser on 24/7 and just constantly load/unload web pages.. Opera just ate CPU and RAM... (Which is funny, Opera on Linux and mostly on Win32 work really good).

But yes I use nearly exclusively Camino, with an occasional Safari when the situation arises Camino isn't displaying everything perfectly to my expectations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.