Hard drive recognition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 400Mhz, Panther 10.3.x, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HD, DVD-RW
So what's the deal?...

I recently installed a brand new Samsung 80Gb PATA hard drive in my 400MHz G4 tower (as an extra storage drive), and after initialising it the system registered it as 80Gb (or near enough) in size.

However, for various unrelated reasons I had to re-install the OS from scratch. This time around it would only see the new drive as approx 33Gb in size! I've tried re-formatting it with both the system software and Lacie Silverlining, but with no joy.

What gives ?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Open Disc Utility and look at the partition size. If it shows as 33Gb of 80Gb, you have created a partition of the wrong size, the only way to fix it is to reformat the drive. If it only shows up as 33Gb total in Disc utility, check the jumper settings on the HDD. Some drive have a jumper setting to limit the drive size to ~32Gb.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 400Mhz, Panther 10.3.x, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HD, DVD-RW
Hmmm, that jumper thing sounds likely. Is it something physical that I'll find on the HDD itself (that's what it sounds like), or is it a software thing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.