Brother MFC-640CW server problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
Hi All.

I just transfered all my files from on power mac to my new 24"imac. That was easy enough. The iMac asked me if I had another mac, I said yes, and it asked me if I wanted to transfer files over. I did. Worked on the second shot. First time, it got hung up at the end. Anyhow, I am trying to print but it says that the server failed. There was nothing for host. So I went to my old mac, looked at what was there, and typed in xxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-computer-2.local (replace the x's with my name). Same as my other but my imac put the 2 in there. It is not working. What did I do wrong? All the settings carried over but the new imac said that it would put the 2 in there. I don't even know why? I ran the network diagnostics but got the green light on everything except the server. I went into printer list and the host area is still empty. I know it has to be something simple.

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
soul60s said:
Hi All.

I just transfered all my files from on power mac to my new 24"imac. That was easy enough. The iMac asked me if I had another mac, I said yes, and it asked me if I wanted to transfer files over. I did. Worked on the second shot. First time, it got hung up at the end. Anyhow, I am trying to print but it says that the server failed. There was nothing for host. So I went to my old mac, looked at what was there, and typed in xxxxxx-xxxxxxxx-computer-2.local (replace the x's with my name). Same as my other but my imac put the 2 in there. It is not working. What did I do wrong? All the settings carried over but the new imac said that it would put the 2 in there. I don't even know why? I ran the network diagnostics but got the green light on everything except the server. I went into printer list and the host area is still empty. I know it has to be something simple.

Okay, I got it to work. I don't know how but then a power outage happened and when everything came back on (just a matter of seconds) my printer didn't print again. It says that it failed to connect to the device. What does that mean?

Shouldn't the imac just pick up what type of printer? It is a Brother MFC-640CW all in one. I went to Brother and downloaded the driver but my computer said that I already have a newer one. I did not have this problem with Panther.

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soul60s said:
Okay, I got it to work. I don't know how but then a power outage happened and when everything came back on (just a matter of seconds) my printer didn't print again. It says that it failed to connect to the device. What does that mean?

Shouldn't the imac just pick up what type of printer? It is a Brother MFC-640CW all in one. I went to Brother and downloaded the driver but my computer said that I already have a newer one. I did not have this problem with Panther.

Doesn't anyone have a suggestion? I did download a patch for tiger but it didn't do anything. It worked yesterday before the power went out. Now it doesn't. There is nothing wrong with the printer. It works manually.

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I posted this days ago with no answer. Here is my problem.

I bought the imac 24" intel computer. I own a brother MFC-640CW all in one printer that is networked. I fot the printer to work with the imac for a few days until the power went out. Now it won't work with my imac. It works with my powermac and my ibook but for some reason it stopped working with my imac. Does anyone have a clue as to why this happened. I went to the brother site and tried downloading the latest drive, followed all types of directions to reset the network through the computer and then reset it through the printer. Nothing is working. It USED TO work. I need this printer to work. Please help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.