Duplicate apps in "open with"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
I searched on this for a while because I remembered reading a thread about it some time ago but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for. Whenever I go into the "open with" menu after right clicking on something some applications are listed twice. How can I remove the duplicate apps? This has happened before but it sorted itself out somehow, I don't remember exactly what I did but it was probably after a clean re-install. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use an app like macpilot that can rebuild your prebindings.

OP
Vagrant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried your suggestion and it didn't appear to have any affect, even after a restart. i also tried refreshing the finder with the "killall Finder" command in Terminal which also did nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
My apologies I didn't put enough thought into your initial question,...I had the same problem and thought I knew solution. I actually did,...Mac Pilot does this task as well, but I thought it was the prebinding, not the launchd.

OP
Vagrant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, no problem MacsWork. I know it isn't a big deal but I find it annoying when this happens and I'm sure other people do too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.