Can I safely remove certain apps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

Is it safe to delete Garage Band and all the supporting files for it without interfering with other applications? I'm not using it at all and would like to gain the disk space.

I've also installed Growl and would like to remove it, do I just delete it like any other application?

Thanks,
Gemigene

Reaction score
I've read about alot of people deleting Garageband with no issues. It supposedly leaves huge crumbs behind though, so you'll need to search them out and trash them also.

Reaction score
Hi,

If you are removing Growl - it's best to stop Growl before uninstallation. This can be done in the 'General' tab of the preference pane. Growl is entirely contained within the Growl Preference Pane. Therefore to remove Growl you will need to remove the preference pane. To do this simply right-click (or control-click) the Growl icon in System Preferences and select 'Remove Growl Preference Pane'. The first time you run Growl, it will also create a folder in your Library/Application Support/ directory called Growl. This folder contains some data that Growl uses in a folder called Tickets, as well as a folder called Plugins. You can delete these.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Pulse-8 said:
Hi,

If you are removing Growl - it's best to stop Growl before uninstallation. This can be done in the 'General' tab of the preference pane. Growl is entirely contained within the Growl Preference Pane. Therefore to remove Growl you will need to remove the preference pane. To do this simply right-click (or control-click) the Growl icon in System Preferences and select 'Remove Growl Preference Pane'. The first time you run Growl, it will also create a folder in your Library/Application Support/ directory called Growl. This folder contains some data that Growl uses in a folder called Tickets, as well as a folder called Plugins. You can delete these.

OK, thanks, did all of that but the Growl icon still shows in the top bar next to the clock...

Gemigene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
gemigene said:
OK, thanks, did all of that but the Growl icon still shows in the top bar next to the clock...

Gemigene
Hold down the command key and drag it off. It should vanish in a puff of smoke

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem solved, thanks everybody.

Gemigene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.