Erasing a Mac

C

c3Arthur

Hello Mac people... I come in peace!

I am a PC computer tech and recently got a macintosh to wipe for a friend, but I am very unfamiliar with Macs. He wants to format it so that he can recycle it or give it to a friend without his personal data on it.

This mac is very old, it runs os 8.6 (i know this is the os X forum, sorry) and runs fine, no problems that I can tell. I have done some research and came across a minimal Gentoo PPC bootable cd, I also found that you have to hold down the C key to boot off of the cd, but have had no luck yet.

Would you guys recommend another process to wipe this thing? Unfortunately he doesnt have the original system disks, or I would use those.

Thank you for any help in this matter :)

Reaction score
c3Arthur said:
Hello Mac people... I come in peace!

I am a PC computer tech and recently got a macintosh to wipe for a friend, but I am very unfamiliar with Macs. He wants to format it so that he can recycle it or give it to a friend without his personal data on it.

This mac is very old, it runs os 8.6 (i know this is the os X forum, sorry) and runs fine, no problems that I can tell. I have done some research and came across a minimal Gentoo PPC bootable cd, I also found that you have to hold down the C key to boot off of the cd, but have had no luck yet.

Would you guys recommend another process to wipe this thing? Unfortunately he doesnt have the original system disks, or I would use those.

Thank you for any help in this matter :)

Hi, I looked around and although there may be somebody with more knowledge about this subject, I did find http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Apple-Macint...ryZ11231QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

It may be the only way to do it hassle free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.