• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Service Provider

A

adrianmoore

OK!
I know i have said this somewhere on a forum, So applos if this is a repeat.

BUT in the "US" you are able to BUY into becomming an AASP(Apple Authorised Service Provider).

Here in the UK however in hangs on "how much you sell", and if you are a 'small' outlet you do not stand a chance, which then in turn hurts the apple customer in as much as say for example :-

A customer's iMac Logic board dies (out of warranty) the local apple computer shop can not access the apple parts database as he is not an AASP, The customer would rather have a 'new' logic board and NOT a second hand one-- See the problem?

Another customers internal Battery went flat (in warrantly) he did not want to go all the way up to Bristol and askd me to put a battery in for him, No problem, But the battery was NOT apple approved, so that would void his warranty! And YES i could only get an Approved Apple battery from the Parts Database, Which means i have to be an AASP

Here in the South West of Devon the nearest AASP is Bristol about 90miles away (1.5 hours drive--One Way!!).

And the other thing is this....The Mark up we get as a reseller is about £20!!! (No Kidding!) i have phoned up apple Uk on this, and the "official reply was " We never said you were going to get rich selling our products!", But then this gives the smaller computer outlet less incentive 1) to sell the Apple Hardware and 2) Makes our price either NO different to Apples or sometimes a little higher.

I personally do not wish to sell 1000's of computers, BUT i DO want to support them, Pc world buys them in bulk and thefore gets a discount and therfore "Could" sell them cheaper, BUT they are Not AASP nor do most of them even understand an apple mac, and certainly would not be able to support them, BUT of course their buying POWER makes it even harder for the smaller Apple Computer shop to get even close to being AASP (I hope you are still with me here, i know i am rambling!)

So the point of this post is this :-
Should Apple review the way they "allow" Computer Shops to become AASP other than looking at How Much Computer Units they sell?
I feel that if apple would make an exam we could sit in order to become AASP would be one way forward.

Or What else do you think would be possible to get more smaller Apple Computer shops appointed as AASP's , a letter to apple? As many apple users emailing or posting to apple?

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well I know that it's in Apple's advantage that they just don't make anyone and everyone AASP. I mean anybody that wanted to get a cheaper mac would just apply for one and then buy a cheaper computer... so they would have to do a volume type deal. Other than that, I do not have enough experience in this area so I can't say much more :(

OP
A

adrianmoore

Murlyn said:
Well I know that it's in Apple's advantage that they just don't make anyone and everyone AASP. I mean anybody that wanted to get a cheaper mac would just apply for one and then buy a cheaper computer... so they would have to do a volume type deal. Other than that, I do not have enough experience in this area so I can't say much more :(

If Apple were to review their stance perhaps, and "do away" with any discount for those who obtained AASP by simply passing an exam, At least then Apple would not lose profit, and benifit from more technicians that are qualified to work on an apple mac without messing it up.

The biggest problem at present in becomming AASP is the amout apple expects to see sold through a retailers shop, there are other requirements, like you must have TWO apple trained technicians, Each tech guy must have a Meter Square workarea (NOT ply-wood!), must have cental point where power can be cut-off, Most of these are obtainale for shops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
the shop here in town doesnt sell much, and they are AASP. if they offered to pay more, id probably be working there.

OP
A

adrianmoore

MacAddikt said:
the shop here in town doesnt sell much, and they are AASP. if they offered to pay more, id probably be working there.
Hi
In the USA i understand that computer shops can actualy BUY into the AASP program for a couple 1000$'s, but here in the UK things are much harder to become AASP, and at present part of the deal is that you MUST sell a min of £100,000(or there about)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.