Yahoo Problems? Help with Adium?

Reaction score
Alright guys. Two quick questions for you.
Has anyone experience problems with the new Yahoo Messenger Beta 3.0 for Mac? Evvverytime I launch it from the dock it takes forever, and I mean forever to load. Am I the only one experiencing this or are there others?

I tried using Adium for a few days but didn't like the fact that it wasn't able to get my contact details for all my friends and I was going to have to manually put them into the built in address book. I do not know my friends by their screen names alone. Is there anyone to import the contact details or am I just SOL?

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
jparker0201 said:
Alright guys. Two quick questions for you.
Has anyone experience problems with the new Yahoo Messenger Beta 3.0 for Mac? Evvverytime I launch it from the dock it takes forever, and I mean forever to load. Am I the only one experiencing this or are there others?

I tried using Adium for a few days but didn't like the fact that it wasn't able to get my contact details for all my friends and I was going to have to manually put them into the built in address book. I do not know my friends by their screen names alone. Is there anyone to import the contact details or am I just SOL?

Thanks everyone.

Have you tried opening up yahoo messenger and then exporting your buddylist and then opening up adium and importing them using the exported list?

What file extension is the exported list from yahoo?

I believe adium is set to read from the server for all buddy lists, which would mean it would be able to get all of their information like you want. Have you tried deleting the program and then application support folder and then redownloading adium and starting from scratch?

Reaction score
jparker0201 said:
I tried using Adium for a few days but didn't like the fact that it wasn't able to get my contact details for all my friends and I was going to have to manually put them into the built in address book. Is there anyone to import the contact details or am I just SOL? Thanks everyone.

All my contacts were automatically imported for me - I did not have to do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16 Core 2 Duo 2 GB RAM
I had the same problem with Yahoo...... Ditched it.

OP
J
Reaction score
PapaNoHair said:
All my contacts were automatically imported for me - I did not have to do anything.

Hm...Maybe I just wasn't giving it enough time. I played around with it for a good 30 minutes though...And when I say "contacts imported" I don't mean their screen names but the name that I had put in on Yahoo for them to show up as...

Ex: jparker0201 then I'd put it in to show up as John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I have a similar Problem MSN Messenger for Mac...terrible :(

I also didn't like using Adium as it would always send me the friends Request I recieved or inform me about Offline Messages but they may be the fault of MSN.

I just have to check a Windows XP PC with Windows Live Messenger it's a pain in the ***.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
try this in adium. preferences->advanced->adress book and then uncheck all the stuff that says from address book so that maybe MSN will read from the server.

Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
BIG D 04 said:
I have a similar Problem MSN Messenger for Mac...terrible :(

I also didn't like using Adium as it would always send me the friends Request I recieved or inform me about Offline Messages but they may be the fault of MSN.

I just have to check a Windows XP PC with Windows Live Messenger it's a pain in the ***.

all my stuff was imported in adium for MSN, but i couldnt stand the program, so i got rid of it

For msn i use "Mercury Messenger" i like this program alot, and it runs nicly. shows what yourlistning to, and you can draw, send nudges, and everything else you can on windows live messenger

I hope this is usefull

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
About a month ago (maybe less, maybe more), Yahoo! started to offer compatibility with MSN Messenger and a new updated version for Windows, since then Yahoo! has had a lot of problems. I don't think is just you or the Mac version but Yahoo! itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 / 12" PowerBook G4 x 2
jparker0201 said:
Hm...Maybe I just wasn't giving it enough time. I played around with it for a good 30 minutes though...And when I say "contacts imported" I don't mean their screen names but the name that I had put in on Yahoo for them to show up as...

Ex: jparker0201 then I'd put it in to show up as John.

Using Adium, you have to manually write their Alias as you've written in your example in the contact info. And everything you want to do will be in the preferences. Moreover, there's a Yahoo! Beta for Mac if you want to try it out, you can view your contact's webcam. By the way, I agree with mraya, MSN messenger, gmail, jabber etc... etc... has no problem with any third party messengers only Yahoo! :black:

S

sursuciofla

All my contacts names came up when I first used it. Granted I hardly use but all the names were there (The real life names I put in using my windows messenger version). Don't know why yours did not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
kman445 said:
all my stuff was imported in adium for MSN, but i couldnt stand the program, so i got rid of it

For msn i use "Mercury Messenger" i like this program alot, and it runs nicly. shows what yourlistning to, and you can draw, send nudges, and everything else you can on windows live messenger

I hope this is usefull
Cheers for the Link.

I'll give it ago and see how good it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.