Hidden Jems for Mac newbies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
mr g5 said:
this is such a cool thread, all of this stuff is sick. How do you do speech recognition?

OS X has a spell check. highlight the word then right click.

Speech Recognition is...

System Prefs.--> Speech--> Click Speekable Items ON...

Set up the rest as you please...

I have mine set so that when I press ESC the iMac begins to "listen".. and does what I say.

That's more than I can say for the rest of my family.. LOL

Reaction score
mr g5 said:
this is such a cool thread, all of this stuff is sick. How do you do speech recognition?

I found this in Finder help or Command+?

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Speech.
Click Speech Recognition, then click the On button next to Speakable Items.
The speech feedback window appears on the desktop and shows the "listening key" that you'll need to press before speaking any commands. (The default listening key is the Escape key.)

If you don't know the command you want to say, click the triangle at the bottom of the speech feedback window and choose "Open Speech Commands window."
Every item in the Speech Commands window is a command. The Speakable Items commands are available from any application. Other commands may only be available if certain applications are open.

Sit about 21 inches in front of your computer's microphone. If you're using an external microphone, make sure it's correctly connected to your computer.
When there is minimal or no background noise and you're ready to speak a command, press the listening key and say your command in a calm voice.
Do not shout, yell, hesitate, or pause as you say the command. Ideally, when you are speaking you should see green bars in the sound level meter in the lower portion of the speech feedback window.

To have your computer acknowledge when it has recognized your spoken command, choose a sound from the "Play this sound" pop-up menu, or select the "Speak command acknowledgment" checkbox in Speech preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Pulse-8 said:
I found this in Finder help or Command+?

got, it. wow this is cool. It would be cool if the voice that spoke back had a british accect.

Reaction score
mr g5 said:
got, it. wow this is cool. It would be cool if the voice that spoke back had a british accect.

May be possible...not sure...should google/ixquick it to see what's out there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
This is class so far...I've learnt so much

Especially that Speech Recognition, is there a list of different commands for it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
BIG D 04 said:
This is class so far...I've learnt so much

Especially that Speech Recognition, is there a list of different commands for it?

Yes... Once you've enabled it... on the bottom of the little circular window is a small triangle. Click that, and it will open up a drop down. Click the option that relates to the command info. There are only 2 options, 1 is back to prefs, and the other is the commands available (There are tons!)

Apple link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh881.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.