HDTV as display for MacBook

Reaction score
I have a mac book and a 46 inch samsung dlp hdtv tv. I wanna use my tv as a monitor so I bought apple's mini dvi to dvi plug, and a dvi plug. I hook it up to the tv and my mac book but just my default screen saver show on the tv screen. Can someone tell me whats wrong? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
hush420 said:
I hook it up to the tv and my mac book but just my default screen saver show on the tv screen. Can someone tell me whats wrong? Thanks
Are you saying that your MacBook displays the desktop fine, but the external display is showing your screen saver? I'm not sure where to go with this one... never heard of it before.
Try going into your System Preferences and click the "Detect Displays" button on the Displays pref pane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Make sure you're following these directions, taken right from the MacBook User's Guide that came with your MacBook:

Using Your MacBook with the Display Closed:

You can use your MacBook with the display closed if the computer is connected to an
external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
Important: To use your MacBook with the display closed, the MacBook must be
plugged into a functioning power outlet.

To operate your computer with an external monitor attached and the display closed:

1 Connect a USB keyboard and mouse to your MacBook.
2 Connect the power adapter to the MacBook and a power outlet. Check that the power
adapter light is on.
3 Close the MacBook display to put the computer to sleep.
4 Follow the steps in the previous section to connect your MacBook to an external
display.
5 Wait a few seconds and then press any key on the external keyboard to wake the
MacBook.

Connecting a TV, VCR, or Other Video Device

To connect a TV or video device that requires a composite or S-video connection:

1 Connect the Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter (sold separately) to the Mini-DVI port on
your MacBook.
2 Connect the device to the adapter.
3 If you want to send the sound from your MacBook to the device, connect a miniplugto-
RCA cable (not included) from the headphone (f) port on your MacBook to the
audio input ports on your device.
4 Turn on the external device.
5 To detect the TV or other external device, hold down the Command (x) key and press
the F2 key. You can also open the Displays pane of System Preferences and click the
Detect Displays button.
6 To adjust how the image is displayed on the device, use the Displays pane of System
Preferences.
Getting More Information About Using an External Monitor or TV
More information about using and configuring an external monitor is available in Mac
Help. Choose Help > Mac Help from the menu bar and search for “external monitor.”

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.