Best way to buy a MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to do the deal. I'll wait until the Core 2 Duo MacBooks are released, but I'm going to make the switch. I think MS is about to shoot itself in the foot with Vista and MacOSX is the way to move on. The fact that I can dual boot with XP will just make the transition easier.

So what is the best way to buy a MacBook Pro? I know I can go to one of the Apple Stores in DFW, but I intend to finance this thing. The store credit for Apple is kinda ridiculous, so I'm thinking about buying from CompUSA or some other retail outlet. Whatever gets me the best deal and best finance terms.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I got my macbook at CompUSA. The had a deal no intrest for 2 yrs on items over 250.00. Apple will most likely only give you a 750.00 credit line. I know 4 or 5 people who got credit thru apple including myself and only got 750. I would go to CompUSA They gave me a 5000.00 dollar credit limit. So you'll be able to get some extra stuff too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
I bought mine directly from apple, and when I was in there a guy bought his from someone else and it was screwed up right out of the box an since he didnt buy it from them they had to send it back, if he would have bought it from them they would have just swaped it out on the spot since it was within the first 30 days.

OP
Sgt Beavis
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:

A valid point. However with the Core2Duo right around the corner it isn't that big of a wait. I won't have time to buy it right away anyways because I'll be on the road for the next three weeks conducting data center migrations. I also have VMworld to attend next month.

So until then I slog along with my company provided thinkpad and my personal dell (which actually ain't bad, but is not nearly on par with a MacBook) </obvious>

Reaction score
I purchased mine at the Apple Store at Fashion Valley. You have got to love the military discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
05GT said:
I purchased mine at the Apple Store at Fashion Valley. You have got to love the military discount.
Millitary discount? Really I have some millitary connects. is it the same as he student discount?

OP
Sgt Beavis
Reaction score
05GT said:

Is that active duty only or can vets get it too?

Reaction score
Sgt Beavis said:
Is that active duty only or can vets get it too?

Just show em' your military ID... I'm not sure about vets...

I got about $175 off the MBP and another $100 or so off the rest of my purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.