OS X Clean Install - restore Users folder?

J

jp_tix

Hi,

I recently did a clean install of OS X, after backing up
my Users folder. How can I restore this folder/user, i.e. Mail, Address Book etc?

Best,

jp

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

I would be led to think that if you copied it to your hard drive, that would do it.

OP
J

jp_tix

That's obvious.

But the copied users won't come up as new users in the System Preferences.

I tried making a new user with the exact same name as the copied folder, now it uses that folder, but permissions are messed up and almost all the applications crash when I start them (Mail, Address Book, even Quicktime).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
just copy the files with the User Name directory

after you copied them go into Utilties --> Disk Utility and repair your permissions

OP
K

KEVIN JENKINS

I have bought v recently an i-book... there are minor glitches... help function
is a bit wobbly and occasionally the modem disconnects and to clear it I have to
re-start.. also occasionally an appn. unexpectedly quits on me...
should I live with these minor probs. or should I go for a re-install? Reading the
above it seems that a re-install might do more harm than good.. altho' as I am
within my full 90 day g'tee period perhaps I should try a clean re-install and see
what happens?
Comments svp. Kevin 12th Feb 2004

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
KEVIN JENKINS said:
I have bought v recently an i-book... there are minor glitches... help function
is a bit wobbly and occasionally the modem disconnects and to clear it I have to
re-start.. also occasionally an appn. unexpectedly quits on me...
should I live with these minor probs. or should I go for a re-install? Reading the
above it seems that a re-install might do more harm than good.. altho' as I am
within my full 90 day g'tee period perhaps I should try a clean re-install and see
what happens?
Comments svp. Kevin 12th Feb 2004

The first I would try is to repair permissions. Sometimes when software is installed, the installer messes with the permission of various files. Repair permission usually resolve most problems.

I believe that should resolve the help problem, it might fix the app quitting problem also. If it does not then a fresh install (wiping the disk clean) would most likely help. If you re-install. be sure you back up your inportant files and data. Don't forget to get a list of your applications, in case you did download or add some.

OP
K

KEVIN JENKINS

rman said:
The first I would try is to repair permissions. Sometimes when software is installed, the installer messes with the permission of various files. Repair permission usually resolve most problems.

I believe that should resolve the help problem, it might fix the app quitting problem also. If it does not then a fresh install (wiping the disk clean) would most likely help. If you re-install. be sure you back up your inportant files and data. Don't forget to get a list of your applications, in case you did download or add some.

many thanks... bear with me..I am a novice with comptrs. esp. macs... how do I go about repairing
permissions.?
Kevin 12.02

OP
K

KEVIN JENKINS

many thanks....pl. bear with me... I am a novice....
how do I go about repairing permissions?

Kevin 12.02

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
This is if you are running Jaguar (10.2.x)

OS X Disk -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

select your OS X disk partition, then click the First Aid tab. now click on the Repair Disk Permissions button.

OP
K

KEVIN JENKINS

many thanks. I have done that and the system seems fine. One other issue..
I have a BJC3000 Canon printer. I have tried configuring with the i-bk using the Canon CD but it doesn't do it.. I then d/loaded a driver called "UK english.sea 3"
but that has not made any difference.. but I may be missing how to get the i-bk
and the prtr. to "pick up" on the d/loaded driver... any suggestions as to how to
get this to work? I have to also say that this prtr has been used with a PC but only with a parallel cable. When trying to get it to wrk with the PC from a USB port it would not configure with the PC either! Kevin 13.02

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.