Mac newbie needs some explaining :)

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've just bought myself a white 2Ghz MacBook (mmm, shiny) and so far absolutely love it! Incidentally, before I go on to my Q's, the reason I bought a Mac instead of my much more familiar Wintel lappy is a direct result of being able to install the slightly dodgy versions of OS X on my desktop computer. Just proves that in some cases, the evils of piracy can result in a sale. (or maybe Apple should just launch OS X as a stand-alone OS)

Anyway, not advocating piracy so on with my questions. Google hasn't been able to answer these and as a lifetime Windows user, I'm confused by a couple of things;

When I close an application with the little red x, it doesn't actually close it, does it? The app appears to continue running. Is this configurable? It's a bit of a pain having to Command-Q every time I close an app.

What the heck is the key next to the right hand Command key for? The symbol is like a ^ with a _ above it? It appears to be another return key, but what's the point.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I think I may just be smitten by OS X/Macs! As a Windows network consultant, that aint' good!! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
zygote said:
When I close an application with the little red x, it doesn't actually close it, does it? The app appears to continue running. Is this configurable? It's a bit of a pain having to Command-Q every time I close an app.

What the heck is the key next to the right hand Command key for? The symbol is like a ^ with a _ above it? It appears to be another return key, but what's the point.
The red x only closes the window, not the app. To close the app, you can: hit command + q, File > Quit, or right(ctrl)-click on the dock icon and select quit.

for the symbols: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=85065&postcount=2

for future questions try here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/search.php?

OP
Z
Reaction score
michaelstumpf said:

Hmm, tried your useful link to search for "close window button" and it didn't return anything relevant soooo.......

OBVIOUSLY, I search first and then ask, I'm only a Mac newbie, not a forum newbie, so maybe I'll reject your advice and continue to post when searching doesn't return anything useful. :rolleyes:

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yeah, reckon so. I seem to find all sorts of new ways of manipulating things in the OS the more I read on t'internet. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Believe it or not the x is not suppose to close the application, but was a mistake in the code of windows that caused the whole program to close when the window was closed. Windows played it off as a feature and left it that way ever since. Historically true, not my opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
I love the whole not quiting thing.

I remeber my old RISC OS machine when ever you clicked the X on that too it never closed the program either.

Even my PDA doesnt quit apps when I tap the X and thats WM2005! Odd that MS never fixed it or even gave a choice for the action to be taken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Useful if you accidentally click it, so that you don't lose all your work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
PowerBookG4 said:
Believe it or not the x is not suppose to close the application, but was a mistake in the code of windows that caused the whole program to close when the window was closed. Windows played it off as a feature and left it that way ever since. Historically true, not my opinion

Do you have a link to an article that says that? I have also heard other things such as the 3 button mouse was an error on Windows' part. I heard something like they were supposed to have one button but were forced to use 3 due to bad design or something. I think I heard this from an unreliable source so I was wondering if anyone else heard this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
I have an intellimouse explorer mouse, and I've assigned the scroll wheel click button to close the application, works quite nicely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.