Safari won't load certain sites

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
All of a sudden, Safari won't open certain websites. At first I thought their servers were down, but it's been a couple of days now.

Ironically I can't download Firefox to test, because theirs is one of the sites not working.

I get 'Safari can't connect to the server' with these sites:

http://www.itv-f1.com
http://www.mozilla.com/
http://my3.statcounter.com/project/
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/portal.php

I've tried resetting Safari, clearing caches and restarting the router.

Sorry - fixed it at last. Peer Guardian had trashed everything. Avoid!

Reaction score
Try deleting cookies (in the preferences) and emptying the catch (in the menu at the top - Safari/Emtpy catch) .

Reaction score
I am having this same problem. I use mediafire daily, and it worked fine up until a few days ago. I've tried opening the site on several different browsers, and it will not work. I've also had this problem with an artblog that I regularly view.

Reaction score
Safari won't open certain websites

Alexis,

How did you fix the problem? Safari is doing the exact same thing on my computer and I've tried several times to clear cache and cookies. Obviously, that's not the issue.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Um, this is nearly two years old. You probably won't get an answer to that.

BAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MPB; 20" iMac; all 10.6.4
faith --
It's in his last sentence.

Sorry - fixed it at last. Peer Guardian had trashed everything. Avoid!

Even if the post's old, he did give his answer.

Reaction score
A different path

I was having a similar problem to this one, but I didn't have Peer Guardian installed. I ended up solving the problem by refreshing my SystemConfiguration directory by following these steps:

1. Open up Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  2. Type "sudo mv /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration_Backup" (without the quotes) and hit enter
  3. Restart your computer

At least for me, some preferences had apparently thrown things off (even though my computer was brand new with barely any software installed), and this fixed the problem.

Reaction score
Hello Charlie,
I followed your advice and now cannot connect to internet at all.:p Could you show how to UNDO the "sudo mv...Backup" instruction in the Terminal?
thanks
Dhahi

Reaction score
Undo "sudo mv...backup"

Or would appreciate any help in getting back online, even with the original problem! (not connecting to certain websites)

Reaction score
Hi Dhahi,

The way to undo the command (by moving the original folder back) is to type in the terminal:

sudo mv /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/_Backup /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

That should move the old folder back to its original place. Sorry that this wasn't able to solve your problem! (It worked for me).

Charlie

Reaction score
Charlie, thanks for coming back to me on that. I will try this and hopefully, at least be back online.
Dhahi

Reaction score
Hi again Charlie, No luck with that I'm afraid. It came back with this ;

mv: rename /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/_Backup to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/_Backup: No such file or directory

If you have any ideas I'd be glad to hear it, otherwise I'm looking at spending money to get this fixed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It would be extremely helpful when computer model/year and current OS along with what version of Safari is used.

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back osxx,
I'm running a mac-mini OS X 10.4.11 of 2005
I don't have the Safari version to hand, but could come back with that tomorrow if needed.
dhahi

Reaction score
My Safari Version: 4.1.3 (4533.19.4)
on Mac Mini OS X 10.4.11 (2005)
dhahi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
That is the most current version with 10.4.11 and have you tried re-downloading Safari ?
Unfortunately more and more older browsers are being supported less these days and
I have to ask not knowing what machine this is on but is there a reason why you are not running a newer OS unless the spec of said computer prohibits this ?

Reaction score
OSXX,
Sorry, but this does not make sense to me. See above posts for machine, year, OS X version and Safari version.
My main concern is to reset the Terminal as per the changes described above. (I could access the net before these changes except for certain sites.)
If I can get back online, I could then proceed to the websites issue.
thanks
dhahi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OSXX,
Sorry, but this does not make sense to me. See above posts for machine, year, OS X version and Safari version.

That's not as useful as knowing what processor you have. Some folks here are sharp enough to figure it out from the year, but not me! In Finder, go to the Apple menu, select About this Mac. It will tell you what processor you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.