Power Off or Sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey people,

Today is the day my lovely shiny new iMac should be here (online tracking says its "out for delivery" yey!

Just a quick question regarding the sleep issue'

Do you not need to turn the iMac off? Just put it to sleep?

I'm used to shutting down my Windows PC most nights before bed lol but if the iMac is cool with just going to sleep (and doesn’t make too much noise) then that’s awesome!

Regards,

Chris. :mac:

p.s. I will post some pics of my iMac when it comes! It also looks like its gonna be a long day of transferring all my files from my Windows PC :baron:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I found when I got my iMac not to long ago...It was easy just to Shut it down as it doesn't take long to boot up. It's actually really quick :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, most people I know just sleep it... (if you can put up with the pulsating light on the front that is :))

Reaction score
MrChris said:
Just a quick question regarding the sleep issue' Do you not need to turn the iMac off? Just put it to sleep? I'm used to shutting down my Windows PC most nights

I use my iMac everyday so I just tuck in in each night...I also don't have a life....There are some scripts which run about 3am which repair permissions etc so it's good medicine. It also consumes less power waking up than it does if you start up from shutdown.

PC's need to be shutdown more often otherwise they go schitzo...

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Pulse-8 said:
PC's need to be shutdown more often otherwise they go schitzo...

lol, tell me about it!

Cheers for the info guys!

Regards,

Chris.

Reaction score
Congrats on the new iMac. I just got the 24" last week. If its only for a few hours I just let it sleep but overnight I turn it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is totally a personal preferences item. As one poster said, Mac OS X boots up in a refreshingly fast period of time (you will love this if you are coming from the Windows world) and so it is almost "6 of one, half a dozen of the other". However, waking up from sleep is faster by a bit.

I like the sleep/wakeup approach myself because it keeps all the programs loaded that were loaded before you turn-off/put-to-sleep. This means that they start up pretty much instantaneously the next day. I have gotten so used to programs just "snapping" into existence that I hate to turn my Mac off at all!

So, there is some benefit to the sleep approach. I reboot my Mac about once a week, just because I am sure that software isn't perfect and this cleans up any memory leaks or any other issues that can accumulate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.