need some fedback on configuring a Mac Pro before purchase

Reaction score
I am going to make the jump from my 17" powerbook to a Mac Pro. However, the configuration possibilities seem endless and I am not sure where to start/finish. This machine will be used for the typical stuff. Alot of graphics work as well as film editing and music production. I guess my main question is, more processor or more RAM? I have priced out like three machines and they all are hovering around the same price point but the configurations concern me. My mentality is that I can always add RAM to it later on so I should get the fastest processor and the 2GB of RAM initially, but maybe that is the wrong desicion? Here are my options.....but please, if you think of a better configuration for what i'll be using this machine for let me know. Also I will be using a 23" cinema display with it so do I need to upgrade my grpahics card from the standard issue? If so what are the benefits?

opt.1
Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
2GB (4 x 512MB)
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

vs.

opt.2
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4GB (4 x 1GB)

sorry for the naive questions, just want to make sure I get the right machine

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Faster processor, add RAM later from a 3rd party vendor.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would get 1GB stick in place of the 2 512MB sticks. That would leave you open to install more memory if needed. Also it would not hurt to bump the graphic card to 512MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Extra processor power beats more ram any day. Option 1. You can always add extra ram later and it also usually cheeper in price as time goes on. A good graphics card is also always a bonus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I would go with option 1. Ram is useless unless what your doing can use it. faster processor helps in everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
save your money and buy the ram yourself.. you can get it for at least 50% off up to 70% less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66
Option 2, but hold off of the RAM, get more video card and add the RAM yourself at a later time (if you can stand running with 2G for the moment). The cost/benefit of the 3.0 processors is very, very unfavorable right now. Or wait a few months and see what happens with the Mac Pro - you might get those 3.0's as a mid level setup.

Reaction score
Well thats thown a spanner in the works, now he will never be able to decide. He he :cool:

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys.

my biggest concern is running non native apps such as all my Adobe apps. I am about to finish my last qtr at graphic design school so I need a stable quick machine. The apple saleman assured me that even running through Rosetta my Adobe apps would still run faster than my 17" powerbook with 1gb of RAM, is he just blowin smoke?

as of now here is my configuration

Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
One 16x SuperDrive
Final Cut Express HD preinstalled
Accessory kit
Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Mac OS X - U.S. English
2GB (4 x 512MB)
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

Last question, is there a place to find final cut express HD cheaper than $149?

again, thanks for the help

B

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.