Not threatening my career or anything, but. . .

J

JMH

. . .I can't seem to get video clips off the web to play on the Quicktime I downloaded. When I select a video, it downloads in a small window, then the icon stays, for example RUF.wmv. It shows up on my desktop, but how do I get it from there into Quicktime? Or am I not understanding something basic? Thanks very much.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
JMH said:
. . .I can't seem to get video clips off the web to play on the Quicktime I downloaded. When I select a video, it downloads in a small window, then the icon stays, for example RUF.wmv. It shows up on my desktop, but how do I get it from there into Quicktime? Or am I not understanding something basic? Thanks very much.

I'm not sure but I think Quicktime doesn't play .wmv files, you need windows media player:

http://download.com.com/3000-2182-10242701.html

Amen-Moses

OP
S

StarManta

NOOOO don't infect your Mac with Windows media player!
Use VLC!
(google for VideoLAN, it'll be the first one. I'm feeling lazy right now.)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
StarManta said:
NOOOO don't infect your Mac with Windows media player!
Use VLC!
(google for VideoLAN, it'll be the first one. I'm feeling lazy right now.)

Does VLC do all the codecs now? Last time I tried it it would only do about half the files I found and had some sound problems.

Amen-Moses

OP
S

StarManta

it does **** near everything. It's played all but exactly one video file I've thrown at it.

OP
J

JMH

Thanks, I'll give VLC a try. Anything to avoid any Windows product. One more question: When I download a clip it appears as an icon on the desktop. how do I move it from there into the video player's file? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah VLC is the way to go.. I use it, i know mac addikt uses it, pretty much anyone whose tried it uses it.

OP
S

StarManta

JMH said:
Thanks, I'll give VLC a try. Anything to avoid any Windows product. One more question: When I download a clip it appears as an icon on the desktop. how do I move it from there into the video player's file? Thanks again.

Not quite sure what you mean here... but it sounds like something a click and drag would solve?

OP
D

dziner

JMH said:
One more question: When I download a clip it appears as an icon on the desktop. how do I move it from there into the video player's file? Thanks again.

If you download and install VLC - you can drag the VLC icon from your Applications folder into your Dock so it's always there for ya'. Then when you download a movie to your desktop, just drag the file to the VLC icon in the dock. It'll launch VLC and begin playing your movie.

OP
S

StarManta

Also, if you want to be able to double-click to play in VLC:

Right-click the file
Open With -> Other
Find VNC
Make sure "Always open with" is checked

There are a number of kinds of video files and each of these must be set like this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.