What happens to the internet connection when I go to standby?

K

kjartan

When I turn on standbymode, the internet stops.. its eird, because it means that i cant go from limewire and transmission... have to sit there all time and keep the mac awake.
Its possible to tell the mac, not to go standby, but then it uses heaps of power and thats expensive!

thx in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Well surely this only happens if your using a USB Modem or similar, if you have a standalone router or Modem the Internet can still run whether or not the Computer goes into Standby.

I however don't know how you can keep your net running, I also didn't know you could run LimeWire when the Computer was on Standby? :s

OP
S

sursuciofla

Well bud, you are between a rock and a hard place. You are going to have to sacrifice the Torrents or the Juice. I did a screen capture...go to system prefs and into energy saver and change the settings around as to suit you.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I thought the downloads continued even while the iMac sleeps....

I'm fairly positive I have began downloading a torrent, went the bed (iMac went to sleep), woke up the morning, and the Torrent is completed.

Reaction score
kjartan said:
When I turn on standbymode, the internet stops.. its eird, because it means that i cant go from limewire and transmission... have to sit there all time and keep the mac awake.
Its possible to tell the mac, not to go standby, but then it uses heaps of power and thats expensive!

thx in advance

Do you have dial-up, 'cos that will cut right off when your mac goes into stand-by...

Reaction score
If I want to download something overnight I change the option to sleep the imac to 'never', change the screensaver time to '5 minutes' and put the display to sleep after '6 minutes' and it works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i have had my quad running 100% of the time since i got it, the mac that takes the most power, and honestly, my power bill did not go up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
djlee12 said:
No downloads don't continue when your mac is sleeping.

Sorry to be naive, but...
Does downloading keep the iMac "awake"?

Reaction score
RIDE said:
Sorry to be naive, but...
Does downloading keep the iMac "awake"?

The screensaver kicking in won't interfere with any download and the display can have a snooze too, but it's the sleep configuration that's important. It needs to be set to 'Never' otherwise the download will stop when the mac goes to sleep.

I just re-hashed what Liam said in his earlier post ^^^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.