Removing partitions

P

Pamich

I partitioned my harddrive so I could triple boot OS X, XP and linux, but I don't use them enough to warrent the space. In Terminal, I typed in:

sudo diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 50G "Linux" Linux 10G "MS-DOS FAT32" Windows 10G

As I was following instructions and have no real idea what I was doing, how do I delete the linux and windows partitions so the entire disk is OS X nondestructively?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't believe there is a non destructive way to do this. Hopefully someone will come along with a solution you are looking for.

As for now the only way I know is to boot from your install media, repartition and then install the operating system. you would have to make a back up of all of your personal data. Since you can not do an archive and install.

OP
P

Pamich

To be sure I don't screw up, how exactly would I go about doing that? All the options that appear to be right in Disk Utility are greyed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Pamich said:
To be sure I don't screw up, how exactly would I go about doing that? All the options that appear to be right in Disk Utility are greyed out.
You need to run Disk Utility from your startup/install/restore discs. You cannot partition a drive that contains the running, startup system folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.