Actual program with interface for cooling mbp

S

sursuciofla

Dang posted in wrong forum again. Had two different windows open...sorry :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
Reaction score
FOUND ON MacFixIt :

Late-Breakers
smcFanControl: Problems with reducing fan activity, resorting to default settings
Although the problem appears to be rare, some users are reporting an inability to return fan speeds to their default settings after modifying them with the tool smcFanControl, which is intended to keep portable Macs cooler by changing the level of fan activity which is dictated by settings in the SMC (system management controller).

One reader writes:

"Hello, I was wondering if you could help me with a big problem I've been having. I tried smcFanControl and it worked great. Then, I tried Fan Control and I didn't like it so I deleted it. Now my fans won't go below 2000 rpm and I'm only running one program. I've tried using smcFanControl to bring it down but it will go down to 1600 and then it goes right back up. Please help me revert my fans to the defaults."

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please let us know.

whats the deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz
Bonzaisushi said:
here ya go works like a charm and i find it easier than running the scripts. enjoy!

http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/index.html

Will this work for PowerBooks as well? Or is there any program similar to this one available for the PowerBooks? I would love it as I use my computer on my lap quite often for class.

OP
B
Reaction score
dont think it works for powerbooks, the man that wrote the program/ interface has it in the works.

i have had no problem returning my fans to the stock speed. the next release will have
predefined settings. it is recommended that you do not go past 4k rpms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
what are the stock speeds on the fans? i downloaded it last night and it seems to work fine for me.

Reaction score
ya it was one of the 1st things i installed on my *NEW MBP* that i just recieved...it works fine..

WHAT is the COMMON Range of NORMAL operating TEMPS?

I am using ISTAT PRO as well...and its not recognizing my temp sensors and does not display temp info on this widget...

the program that this Thread is about does tho..any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
there is a kernal extension called "speedit" that needs to be installed before istat will recognize your temps. download a program called coreduotemp. that will install speedit, and thus solve your problem

OP
B
Reaction score
CJ064 said:
what are the stock speeds on the fans? i downloaded it last night and it seems to work fine for me.

to return fans to their stock speed just slide the sliders down to 1000rpms. and youll be good, i think its pretty average for the temperature to be sitting around. 50-60 degrees celsius.

Reaction score
Just a quick question guys.
Do I need to leave this program running all the time in the dock?
Edit: As in do I need to leave this running all the time so that the RPM I set for the fan stays in affect?

Also, has anyone notice decresed battery life by making the fans run faster?

Reaction score
jparker0201 said:

Fan Control is actually under system preferences.

OP
B
Reaction score
jparker0201 said:
Edit: As in do I need to leave this running all the time so that the RPM I set for the fan stays in affect?

Also, has anyone notice decresed battery life by making the fans run faster?

after you apply the settings just hit apply and close the programs and your good to go. i only crank them up when im running photoshop, or a game. for regular things like writing, listening to music or watching a move i cant be bothered to crank the fans up, but right now im in my library have them up to 3k rpms. And i cant really tell a difference in battery life.

im at 39 Degrees celsius,5.4% cpu at 1.67 GHZ. with the fans at 3000.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.