eject cd while off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 Powerbook, 1.33GHz, 512MB, OS 10.3.9
My friend called me today with a problem with her macbook. Not sure of the exact problem but it will not turn on. Strange enough, the real problem i guess is there is a cd in the drive that MUST come out. is there an easy way to eject that disc with the computer off?

H

Hulk_SMASH

is there a little hole in the CD-tray? If so, stick a paper-clip in it and it'll eject maually.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hulk_SMASH said:
is there a little hole in the CD-tray? If so, stick a paper-clip in it and it'll eject maually.

what do you mean in the cd tray? i dont have the computer in front of me, and i have not atually ever seen a macbook. ive got a power book and i dont know if the cd drive looks any different from mine.

H

Hulk_SMASH

geez, seriously get a clue... Not knowing what the CD tray is? IT'S THE TRAY WHERE YOU PUT THE CD IN AT!!! The pinhole is located on the front door which is built into the tray.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hulk_SMASH said:
geez, seriously get a clue... Not knowing what the CD tray is? IT'S THE TRAY WHERE YOU PUT THE CD IN AT!!! The pinhole is located on the front door which is built into the tray.

relax man. no reason for the caps dude. i told you ive never even seen a macbook and on my power book there is no door to the cd tray. you just slide the disc in the slot.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Looking at the Apple site. It appears that the MacBook also has a slot drive. So there is no pin hole hole as suggested.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Allright...apparently the computer is running at this point...BUT...the cd drive wont eject by pressing the eject key or dragging the icon to the trash, etc. Is there a way to eject the disc in a more effective way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
restart the computer and as soon as it turns on click and hold the mouse button

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Could always try the following

when MacBook is powered off. Hold the Trackpad button down and turn on MB. Keeping hold of the trackpad button until disc ejects.

Reaction score
Disc Utility, look for mounted disc in left pane and highlight it then choose eject from the menu.

That pinhole is a museum piece now....now Mac CD/DVD drives are no longer trays and are now slots, the pinhole has nothing to release anymore so is a thing of the past. Come to think of it, I haven't seen a MacBook so I don't know if this non-tray thing applies to them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Troubleshooting the slot load optical disc drive

You must repent of your sinful ways, and beg Article 88275 to take pity on your soul.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Yeah I have a brain shaped audio cd from greenday. Bands love to bring out weird limited editions of odd shapes and colours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.