Advice on buying new iMAC please...

Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of buying a new iMAC 20" (the one @ £999 on the uk apple site), but I have a coule of questions someone might be able to answer before I do...

Firstly, is this a good time to buy? Is there a confirmed or roumered time of release for the new OS (Leopard), and if there is, is it worth waiting around for that release??? Hmmm, multiple questions in one there :)

Second, is there a good online shop for buying MACs other than the Apple website? I see amazon advertising the iMAC 20" far less than on the Apple site, but is this an old version? See this link

Hope someone might be so good as to help me out here...

Thanks
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP | 2 GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 320 GB External | Canon 20D and lotsof lenses
The latest news I've read is that Leopard is due out in Spring of 2007 (bottom of this thread: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/10/20061012222519.shtml).

It all depends on your need for a new system possibly and if you wanted to wait. I purchased my Mac knowing that the core software I was going to be using (Adobe CS2 Suite) wasn't a universal binary for about a year (at the time of my purchase) but I knew I couldn't wait either (this turned out true as my Windows PC's HDD just died last week). So it's basically timing and the question if you don't mind spending another $100-$200 for the upgrade of the new OS when it comes out.

The link you provided at Amazon is for the 17" iMac and it says it's out of stock or discontinued. I also looked up the 20" iMac and it said the same thing.

Buying a Mac at this time as well you should be prepared for it to be outdated/replaced in about a 6-8 month time span with the new processors coming out. If you're holding out for the new OS you might be cool to hold out for the newer upgraded version of the iMac as well (if they up the processor on it).

I purchased my Mac through a local retailer (not an Apple store). The price wasn't any different but I didn't have to pay for shipping etc so it worked out that way. I'm not sure if you have any retailers where you are but it might be something to look into. Sometimes the price is cheaper online but after you factor in shipping/handling/freight charges it makes the price more -- just something to be aware of.

I think I semi-touched on some of your questions and I'm sure more experienced users will be able to help out a bit more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
steve1401 said:
Hi

I am thinking of buying a new iMAC 20" (the one @ £999 on the uk apple site), but I have a coule of questions someone might be able to answer before I do...

Firstly, is this a good time to buy? Is there a confirmed or roumered time of release for the new OS (Leopard), and if there is, is it worth waiting around for that release??? Hmmm, multiple questions in one there :)

Second, is there a good online shop for buying MACs other than the Apple website? I see amazon advertising the iMAC 20" far less than on the Apple site, but is this an old version? See this link

Hope someone might be so good as to help me out here...

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

There is no better time than now to purchase a Mac. However if you would rather wait until Leopard is release you'll be waiting until next spring.

The link you provided is for the Core Duo version not the latest Core 2 Duo version which is why it is less expensive.

I would just purchase the iMac from the Apple store. Good luck. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The new Core 2 Duo Macs are actually cheaper than the old Core Duo ones.

Apple makes sure no one company can buy off them cheaply, so they are a uniform price wherever you go.

There's no reason not to buy now. Leopard is just an evolution of the operating system and won't be vastly different from Tiger. Leopard should come out next spring, but you'll be able to get hold of it for £50 or £60 off ebay.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys...

Now that I realise that Leopard won't be released until Spring next year, I will go out and buy my new MAC now :biohazard

From what I have read, there will be little difference between the OSs anyway, but one really useful feature that is supposed to be added is multiple desktops, as in Linux. Does anyone know if there is a plugin / package to reproduce multiple workspaces with a MAC?

As far as cost goes, you have answered my theory - the spec of the cheaper computers (where they are even available) isn't up to that of the computers on the Apple website, namely the new Dual Core 2!

All of this has been helpful, now to hit the credit card...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
steve1401 said:
Thanks for the replies guys...

Now that I realise that Leopard won't be released until Spring next year, I will go out and buy my new MAC now :biohazard

From what I have read, there will be little difference between the OSs anyway, but one really useful feature that is supposed to be added is multiple desktops, as in Linux. Does anyone know if there is a plugin / package to reproduce multiple workspaces with a MAC?

As far as cost goes, you have answered my theory - the spec of the cheaper computers (where they are even available) isn't up to that of the computers on the Apple website, namely the new Dual Core 2!

All of this has been helpful, now to hit the credit card...

Go here http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html for a leopard sneak peak.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
if the only reason ur waiting is for leopard to come out, don't wait. Leopard could come out any time from now till the end of the Summer, and remember that it won't ship with the iMacs until a few months later. Leopard will come out in Spring, but probably won't ship with the computers until early fall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.