Clicking noise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
I recently had my MacBook sent in for repairs for the random shutdown problems. Not sure that's related to this problem, but just thought I'd let you know. Anyway, last night I noticed my computer started to make a noticeable CLICK noise every 10 seconds or so. It just started randomly while I was browsing the web. I restarted and it still didn't fix the problem. I eventually reset the PRAM and that made the clicking stop. Does anybody know what the noise is from and why something like resetting the PRAM would fix it? Is it something I should have Apple check?

Reaction score
I would suggest brining your mac to a nearby reseller or apple store to be looked at. A "clicking" sound usually means an impending hard drive failure, which could or could not be the case here. Either way, it's better to be safe than sorry.

However, as the PRAM fixed the problem, it may not be your hard drive after all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.