powerpc app 'translate' on macbook

D

dakl

Hi everyone

I don't really know where to ask this, to I'l try here.

I've hade a Macbook 1.83, 1Gb RAM for a few months now and everything works just fine. However, recently I discovered that there is a powerpc application called "translate" running on my mac. I have no other powerpc-apps running (no rosetta emulation).

Does anyone have a clue on what this application is? It's quite annoying to have a powerpc app in the middle of the nice list of intel apps, since I have no idea why it's there.

Best regards
Daniel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
My guess is that it's an older widget running in the dashboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
dakl said:
However, recently I discovered that there is a powerpc application called "translate" running on my mac. I have no other powerpc-apps running (no rosetta emulation).
That actually is Rosetta emulation running. Just because an application isn't currently using it, doesn't mean it doesn't run. It is probably running with the expectation and anticipation for when you actually might need it.
:black:
Rosetta's implementation consists of a program (/usr/libexec/oah/translate), a daemon (/usr/libexec/oah/translated), a collection of library & framework shims (/usr/libexec/oah/Shims/*), and support in the kernel, which has explicit knowledge of the translate program.

You can try to eliminate the process via Activity Monitor, or via Terminal by typing:
Code:
sudo killall translated

OP
D

dakl

Thanks for the answer.

My question is: Is it there by default, or did I change something to load it automatically somehow. I have tried kiling the app, and it works fine. It keeps coming back though...

best regards
daniel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's there by default- it sits and waits for any powerpc code to show up and translates it if it does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.