Problems I have had since 10.4.8 update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro unibody 15", 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hello

Ever since I let my MacBook Pro 15" update to 10.4.8 last week I have had a continuous set of persistent failures along the following lines:

- The wireless seems less robust and prone to dropping out from the same locations in my house where previously it worked flawlessly.

- It lost memory of one wireless network I connect to (at work) and I had to re-enter all the details.

- Sleep/hibernation -- the machine always occassionaly had some issues with waking up every now and then (1/week), but this seems to have gotten worse since 10.4.8 (1/day). It actually seems to have now issues going to sleep (as opposed to waking up (!)). If I close the lid whilst powered on batteries (with say 50% battery left) and leave it overnight when I get up in the morning it wakes up from hibernate (or at least, it won't wake up until i connect power, press the power button, then restores itself to its former state, I assume this is a hibernate to disk mode).

- Last night as I had the computer closed next to me in the loungeroom, I was surprised by the computer speaking the time, lid shut! If the computer is not powering down properly with the lid shut this explains the issue with the battery being drained, above.

- The trackpad appears to lose the function of the two-fingers-and-click equals the secondary click. The system preference is still checked. Two fingers on the trackpad will cause scrolling. But no application appears to respond to the right-click. It's as if I single clicked.

Now I don't really know if these issues are related to 10.4.8 upgrade or not, but they only appeared once I performed that upgrade. Does anyone have any further information about any of these or related matters? Googling didn't seem to turn anything up. Any help appreciated.

thanks
scot.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304482
You might also want to take a look through this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42431&page=1&pp=15

There are a few reporting similar issues and several solutions and suggestions.

Thanks for the pointer, but there's nothing in there about the sleep problem, which I rate as most serious, i.e. the computer's on and warm with the lid closed. I've since ascertained that it NEVER sleeps when the lid is shut.
I will trawl my system preferences and see if I can turn anything up.

The wireless network and trackpad stuff are only annoyances, after all. But the lid/sleep issue is a definite safety issue.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well,

Now the machine won't sleep even when I select "Sleep" off the Apple menu! What is the point of a notebook computer if I have to shut it down every time I want to put it in my backpack?!

I ditched Ubuntu on my old Dell because it wouldn't play nice with the sleep function. I got a Mac with even worse problems. P.O.S. ;-( Software quality is definitely an issue I think for Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.