keyboard "end" key

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
How do I use the "end" key properly on the keyboard?? This might be a silly quesiton but it's something that has always puzzled me. Also, ditto for the "home" key. They do nothing on my keyboard.

thanks
Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz White MacBook, 1gb RAM, superdrive, 22in trinitron external monitor, 60gb internal, 300gb ext
the default hotkey for end in OSX is apple key + right arrow
home is apple key + left arrow

Jem

Reaction score
That was a good question huffstar, being a PC convert I'm also failing to understand what the replacement keys (geographically! :D) for Home, End, Page Up and Page Down are meant for as I haven't found an App where they are useful yet?

Jem

Reaction score
Nice link cazabam!

One question though... what are the keys actually MEANT to do? I don't particularly want to go back to PC land, making a Mac act like a PC seems about as futile as making a PC act like a Mac (heh although enough people seem to want to do that...)

So I'm sure they've got a purpose... don't they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Jem said:
...making a Mac act like a PC seems about as futile as making a PC act like a Mac ...
I concur.
:black:

Jem

Reaction score
:D heh yes but... WHAT ARE THEY FOR???? :D :D

The keys that OS X forgot....

Honestly... does nobody know what their purpose in life is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The Home and End keys take you to the top of the page/document/whatever. I think pgup and pgdn skip forward and backward one page (as opposed to one screenfull). There are many, many sites on the web wondering what on earth they are for.

The only application I use them for is Terminal for scrolling through the history, and I press shift-pgup/pgdn to send a PC-style page up and down to the *nix applications underneath (e.g. going up a screenful in mutt on my macbook is shift-fn-up arrow, or shift-pgup on the external keyboard).

In every thing else, I use the command-arrow shortcuts to jump about quite happily. Thanks to the fact that there are no separate home/end/pgup/pgdn keys on the macbook, I have got quite used to command-arrow instead of reaching up for the other block of keys, so all is good.

Reaction score
I use them ALL the time in text editing (on my PC). They jump to the end of a line, and ctrl+arrow goes forward or backward one line or paragraph. VERY usefull, especially in programming. I think Apple+arrow does end of line, and ctrl+arrow jumps by words on a Mac.... Correct me if I'm wrong... My mac mini is still driving here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I think Apple+arrow does end of line, and ctrl+arrow jumps by words on a Mac.... Correct me if I'm wrong... My mac mini is still driving here!

Close. Apple+arrow does go to the beginning/end of the line, however it is alt+arrow that goes word by word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.