Norton Anti-Virus for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Sorry if this has already been posted but I'm so so I'm just getting use to things...

Well anyway I was in PC World today, at which point I spotted Norton Anti-Virus in the Mac "Corner"... I was under the assumption that Mac's didn't need Anti-Virus software as most don't effect the OS as they are built for Windows Computers?

Am I naive? Should I really be runnning some kind of Anti-Virus, Anti-Hack, Anti_Crap Software??

Cheers for the Help in Advance!

Reaction score
There aren't really any mainstream viruses or crapware around for OSX, there have been a few (a handful literally) "proof of concept" exploits ove the years but they are dealt with quickly. I think it's a combination of the fact that there are a lot less people using OSX (so windows is the main target) plus OSX being a little bit more secure with how it does things.

It's my understanding that the norton anti-virus for mac will stop windows viruses (i.e., say you get an email with a windows virus and you forward it to a windows friend, wouldn't be very nice for him). But it's my opinion that people should look after their own computers, and it shouldn't be down to you to pay for software you don't need just to protect people who can't be bothered.

Reaction score
You really don't need an anti-virus program. Not yet anyways. And, plenty of people swear that putting any Symantec product on your mac is a BAD idea. Allegedly, it scatters files all over your hard drive that become impossible to remove. I've even seen apps that's sole purpose is to get ride of Norton! I've never had any experience with their software, so I cannot speak to that, but I'm sure you will find plenty of people on this board who will agree with me.

OP
BIG D 04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I've been informed the same really, but as I'm new to Mac how when these odd occurences of Virus and Spyware on OSX are these dealt via Apple provding Updates or are required to remove it yourself?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Not sure since there has never been a Virus or Spyware for OS X

OP
BIG D 04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Not sure since there has never been a Virus or Spyware for OS X
Its probably just me overreacting from Always beening a Windows User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
BIG D 04 said:
Its probably just me overreacting from Always beening a Windows User

In that statment lies my problem too. Do I or don't I need AV software ?

It requires a leap of faith for a windows user of many years to believe in all the things one hears about Mac and viruses. I hope they are true because my iMac will soon be here (this week I hope)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Kilted1 said:
In that statment lies my problem too. Do I or don't I need AV software ?
That question can only be answered by you. :black:
It isn't necessarily a case of needing or not needing, it is more a matter of personal comfort and preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I've never bothered with mac AV software, but if I was going to I'd use clamAV X, which is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
zeta101 said:
There aren't really any mainstream viruses or crapware around for OSX, there have been a few (a handful literally) "proof of concept" exploits ove the years but they are dealt with quickly. I think it's a combination of the fact that there are a lot less people using OSX (so windows is the main target) plus OSX being a little bit more secure with how it does things.

It's my understanding that the norton anti-virus for mac will stop windows viruses (i.e., say you get an email with a windows virus and you forward it to a windows friend, wouldn't be very nice for him). But it's my opinion that people should look after their own computers, and it shouldn't be down to you to pay for software you don't need just to protect people who can't be bothered.

exactly. And I believe mac users make up only around (or less than) 5% of computer users. Who would make a virus to slightly irritate that 5%?

Besides, any viruses written are most likely to target Norton anyway since I believe it's the most popular/common. I hear that PC users are best to use a lesser known brand in conjunction with Norton or other large name apps since anything designed to slip by Norton might be caught by the other. Anyway, as far as I know there's no real need for any antivirus for macs. System and OS updates are fairly regular, which take care of security issues for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
D3v1L80Y said:
That question can only be answered by you. :black:
It isn't necessarily a case of needing or not needing, it is more a matter of personal comfort and preference.

Sorry I just trying to get my head around using the internet without (For want of a better word)protection.After so many years with AV. Old habits etc :yinyang:
I suppose an iMac is protection enough.

I'll look into Clamxav I've heard it mentioned a lot latlely

Thanks

OP
BIG D 04
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kilted1 said:
Sorry I just trying to get my head around using the internet without (For want of a better word)protection.After so many years with AV. Old habits etc :yinyang:

Same here :'(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.