Is Safari the new Internet Explorer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
One thing that remained the same when I migrated from Windows to OS X on my shiny new MacBook was the browser. I have used Firefox since it was Firebird (around 0.3 release) and since then have only ever used IE when absolutely forced to.

When I loaded OS X for the 1st time, I didn't even glance at Safari, it was straight onto Firefox. What I have noticed though is more and more integration into the OS with Safari, especially with Leopard. Widget extensions and some integration into Finder/Sherlock seem to be planned... so I have two questions

1) Is Safari a more attractive browser because of this integration by Apple
2) Is OS X likely to become vulnerable for this reason, in the same way Windows is vulnerable because Explorer is an extension of the OS

I realise Unix is inherently more secure than Windows, but this ever tighter relationship is sure to expose security issues.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
1) Yes, IMO. Your mileage may vary!
2) No, under Windows Internet explorer is basically tied into the file manager as well. Under OS X, Safari is still just a regular app - quite distinct from the OS. Sure, nothing is perfect, but the UNIX permissions model and the microkernel architecture seem to help keep the amount of security issues down to a minimum.

Reaction score
Zoolook said:
One thing that remained the same when I migrated from Windows to OS X on my shiny new MacBook was the browser. I have used Firefox since it was Firebird (around 0.3 release) and since then have only ever used IE when absolutely forced to.

When I loaded OS X for the 1st time, I didn't even glance at Safari, it was straight onto Firefox. What I have noticed though is more and more integration into the OS with Safari, especially with Leopard. Widget extensions and some integration into Finder/Sherlock seem to be planned... so I have two questions

1) Is Safari a more attractive browser because of this integration by Apple
2) Is OS X likely to become vulnerable for this reason, in the same way Windows is vulnerable because Explorer is an extension of the OS

I realise Unix is inherently more secure than Windows, but this ever tighter relationship is sure to expose security issues.

Thoughts?

Hi, when I bought my iMac G5 after being on Windows for a couple of years and using FireFox - the first thing I did was download FF. Of course I tried Safari but I need tabbed browsing and didn't know how to turn it on yet.

So, I used FF for a couple of mths then as soon as I realised that Safari supports tabbed browsing I ditched FF quicker than you could say:

"Soup, a cauli, fridge, elastic, eggs, peas, halitosis"​

Of course I still have FF installed on my iMac and continue to use it on my PC.

Reaction score
I did something similar - when I switched to Mac recently I continued using Opera - which had been my browser of choice thru Windows and Linux but it did not take me long to switch to Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
I loved Internet Explorer 7 so I naturally chose to go with Safari because it seemed the most similar and it was not a memory hog in particular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
mynameis said:
Safari usage is still very very low in comparison to IE.
:black:
That is an understatement.
Safari is used by less than 0.5% of people online.
By comparison, IE6 is used by 55.6% of people.
:black:
Internet Browser Usage Stats

S

sursuciofla

I hate Safari. Crashes too much. Don't like IE either. Can't say I really have a #1 browser right now.

Since this is the Safari hot thread right now...Is there a way to save Bookmarks so when I go too reinstall OS I can just load them. There has to be an easier way than writing them all down. Thanks, free rep is on the line for the help! unless I gave you rep recently in which case I will owe you.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Since this is the Safari hot thread right now...Is there a way to save Bookmarks so when I go too reinstall OS I can just load them. There has to be an easier way than writing them all down. Thanks, free rep is on the line for the help! unless I gave you rep recently in which case I will owe you.

You can sync them to .Mac or just go to File > Export Bookmarks..., then import them after the re-install.

Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Is there a way to save Bookmarks so when I go too reinstall OS I can just load them. There has to be an easier way than writing them all down.

There's also this:

Safari bookmarks

Safari bookmarks are all stored in a file called Bookmarks.plist, which is located at ~/Library/Safari/. To get to this file in the Finder, choose Home from the Go menu. Open the Library folder, then open the Safari folder.

To back up: Make a copy of the file in another location by holding down the Option key and dragging the Bookmarks.plist file to another location (such as the Desktop). The original file will remain (do not remove the original file from this location or your Safari bookmarks will be gone!).

As an alternative, you can compress the file into an archive—select the Bookmarks.plist file, then from the File menu in the Finder, choose Create Archive. The original file will remain.

To restore: Simply move the backup copy of Bookmarks.plist to the ~/Library/Safari/ folder. If you're restoring from an archive, don't forget to decompress the file (just double-click it).
Note: The Bookmarks.plist file contains only the Safari bookmarks for the currently logged-in user. If other users on the same Mac have their own user accounts and personal bookmarks, their Bookmarks.plist files are located in their Home folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
sursuciofla said:
I hate Safari. Crashes too much. Don't like IE either. Can't say I really have a #1 browser right now.

Same as me! Unfortunatle because when it runs good it's great but random crashes on certain pages are frustrating

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.