Folder View Options on External HDD

S

sursuciofla

Okay so I know how to do folder options but every time I try to do it on my external drive folders I get (see attached picture).

Everytime I click on the drive and try to change it or even when clicking on specific folder I can't get the window I need. I am doing batch image processing and want to be able to quickly highlight the JPEG and need them grouped together apart from my CR2(raw) images. I want to revert back to the way it is right now after I finish so I don't want to do a whole lot of arranging and moving. I am lost as to why I can't get the correct View Options window.

Rep points to anybody who can help me figure this out!

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I totally understand your problem, but your mac will convieniently (sp?) remember your folder view options. To change them, just double click your External HD on the desktop, and before you do anything (it must be your first action in the new open window), select the view option that you prefer from the toolbar. Your mac will then default to this setting (view and window size) everytime you open the window.

Does that answer it?

OP
S

sursuciofla

Nope that didn't help but thanks for suggestion. Well attached another pic. I want this window but get the window I posted in other pic. Even changed option on my desktop but still no effect on the external. No option for me to do it when I click on external.

Picture 2.jpg

Reaction score
Okay try this. Open up your external HD and make sure the icon that looks like a gear with an arrow is in your toolbar. Click that icon and select show view options. Is the first window what you get when you do this? I know when I do this on my external HD i get the second window you posted.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Nevermind it is because I had it in column list view. I switched it to thumbnail view and all is well. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Take that back I think I found the solution. Before you open the show view options window, make sure that your finder window is in "Icon" view. I was able to get the full view options window with the icon view, but not with the column and detail views.

Let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.