New iMac replacement arrived today and...

Reaction score
...there is exactly the same sound as the current one.

If the computer is switched off but the electricity is still on at the wall there is a crackling type of buzzing sort of sound. Stops as soon as I turn the electricity off at the wall.

What to do from here....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
Liam said:
...there is exactly the same sound as the current one.

If the computer is switched off but the electricity is still on at the wall there is a crackling type of buzzing sort of sound. Stops as soon as I turn the electricity off at the wall.

What to do from here....
Is the noise in the computer or in the wall?

OP
L
Reaction score
djlee12 said:
Try it on a different power outlet.

Already tried that mate. One of the first things I did.

soul60s said:
Is the noise in the computer or in the wall?

The machine. As soon as I turn the electricity off at the wall the noise stops.

The noise isn't loud, and you can only hear it when it's complete silence (In bed etc) or when you have your ear to the back of the machine, but tech support have said there shouldn't be any noise which I don't understand at all.

They want me to take it all the way to an after sales place which is quite far away from me, and I have no transport to get there so I'm sending the new one back which has just arrived and just keeping this one... :(

Will be backing up my Uni work daily incase it decides to die on me though!

Jem

Reaction score
You did try the new power cable and didn't just plug in the old one?

Sorry, gotta ask dumb questions, seems a huge coincidence that 2 should be the same...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It sounds like a noisy supply to your house. Any noisy mains AC will make the PSU work harder to clean it up - the noise is probably just the capacitors in the PSU. Have you tried it at a different house (preferably not in the same street)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Have you tried running it through a surge protector?

OP
L
Reaction score
Jem said:
You did try the new power cable and didn't just plug in the old one?

Sorry, gotta ask dumb questions, seems a huge coincidence that 2 should be the same...

Yep, tried the new cable mate.

I've spoke to Apple and I'm just sending the new one back and keeping the current machine.

Unless they get anyone else complaining of the same thing I can only come to the assumption that it is what you 2 guys above me have suggested - an electricity problem around the house.

It'll be interesting to see if many others have the same problem as more people buy iMacs. Just have to wait and see I suppose... :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
try using an adapter that cleans the electricity before it goes to your mac. i dont know what they are called but im sure there out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
I used to get exactly the same problem with my PC laptop powerpack - if I plugged it in at my house I'd get the buzzing sound, if I tried it at a friend's house it'd be silent. So theres a good chance it is the power at your house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.