Trasferring from one computer to another

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
I have a power mac g4 dual and just bought the iMac 24" intel. I have an external hard drive (250gb). If I backup my whole hard drive onto the external or copy it (not sure if there is a difference) will EVERYTHING transfer over including software and sn#'s. I have creative suite, office, and a few other things that I obtained during the great p2p days. I also have music and email that I need to transfer. Any suggestions as to how to do this with what I have. Can I just connect the two computers together via firewire and do ti that way? Will my mail and music transfer?

I tried looking this up but couldn't find it.

Reaction score
If you connect via firewire, the macs can automatically transfer mail, music, personal settings, etc. It won't, however, transfer your existing applications. Your best bet to do that would be to copy them (and all of their pref files, etc, which can be a pain to find) and place them in the right spots on your new machine. However, as is using p2p to pirate software, this is not legal and isn't supossed to be discussed here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
I have creative suite, office, and a few other things that I obtained during the great p2p days.

Smart move, openly admit to piracy on a forum.....?

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G4 dual1.25gb RAM,160gb HD,250 external HD,ibook G4, 24"iMacIntelCore2Duo,2gb ram, macmini
Mathiau said:
Smart move, openly admit to piracy on a forum.....?

Maybe I wrote it wrong... I PAID for the creative suite and office. Both were bought when I was in school. Educational discount. I never mentioned anything else.

Now that I re-read it, I did write it wrong. Sorry.

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
djlee12 said:
If you connect via firewire, the macs can automatically transfer mail, music, personal settings, etc. It won't, however, transfer your existing applications. Your best bet to do that would be to copy them (and all of their pref files, etc, which can be a pain to find) and place them in the right spots on your new machine. However, as is using p2p to pirate software, this is not legal and isn't supossed to be discussed here.

It is not legal to move your apps from one computer to another even though it is your own computer? I honestly didn't know.

OP
soul60s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
djlee12 said:

Can I just install the same software on the next computer with the sn#'s or do they put something on the cd's to stop that? I have all the original disks. Like I corrected, I DID buy the software. I didn't realize how that read until I went back and re-read it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.