Disable Header printing in NN7

P

PHPNooby

I work as part of sales team for a small UK based electronic entertainment company. Our stock ordering system is going through an overhaul as a result of the increased demands being placed on the ordering system.

Part of this streamlining process involves the creation of printable invoices from web pages and online forms. Privacy is an issue ,As these invoices will eventually be dispatched to customers and obviously we wish to protect certain information.

When printing web pages from within Netscape Navigator 7, the document URL is printed (as is other information) in the header/footer of the printed page.

It is possible to disable this feature on NN7 for PC by going:-

1. File-->Page Setup.
2. Select the "Margins & Header/Footer" tab
3. Changing the "Headers & Footers" roll-out menus accordingly

This feature is not present on the MAC version of NN7. Is there an alternative method with which to turn off this unwanted information or is the MAC NN7 incable of removing the header/ footer from a printed web page?

Any Information would be greatly appreciated (and may help me to obtain a small bonus!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
As a general rule, a webpage cannot change internal settings of a computer (there are rare cases of exceptions). So my guess is that neither PHP, javascript, css or anything else is not going to be able to do what you want to do. I don't have experience with mac NN7, so all I can suggest is have a good hunt around in the menu bar and the preferences <_<

OP
P

PHPNooby

Cheers. <_<

No option available anywhere I'm affraid. Why it should have been ommited in the MAC version is beyond me. It's possibly to remove this information in IE but my employer insists on using NN7 so that's the way it must be. Sorry.

I did here of a piece of third party software that would do the required task but I can't remember where I saw it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Oh well, can't win em all ;)

If you find that piece of software, it'd be great if you could post a link to it. It might come in handy one day :)

OP
P

PHPNooby

user_pref("print.print_footercenter","");
user_pref("print.print_footerleft","");
user_pref("print.print_footerright","");
user_pref("print.print_headerleft","");
user_pref("print.print_headercenter","");
user_pref("print.print_headerright","");

I tried the proposed solution with no luck, on my MAC NN7, the header and footer still appear. I stuck the code in the 'user.js' file as this is supported by NN7 and a preferred method to altering the prefs.js.

What exactly is this JS doing? I assume it's getting the property "print_..." and filling it with an empty string, right? Could I there for do this?..

user_pref("print.print_footercenter","Red");
user_pref("print.print_footerleft","Green");
user_pref("print.print_footerright","Blue");

...making the footer display the names of various colours?

The more I investigate, the more I think the functionality to alter this header and footer information has been completely removed from the MAC version though quite why I'm not sure.

OP
P

PHPNooby

I've sinced used the about:config URL in netscape to find out what's happening to the preferences I'm setting. According to the browser, they are being set correctly. Still, I'm getting the same old results.

Curiously though, I'm getting the same results from both PC and MAC. Coult this mean that though my pref's are correct, they are not overriding the defaults?

OP
P

PHPNooby

I thought I'd come back and explain the solution co'z you said it might be usefull. It turns out that it's not a platform problem but rather a browser one. For some reason, a bug crept into NN7 that prevents it from reading the user pref's. Mozilla worked fine and removed the offending header information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I'm glad you sorted it.

Do you know if it works in Mac IE?

OP
P

PHPNooby

I'd rather you didn't speak of such things. :blink:

Only kidding! I have yet to try it on the machine at work but I'm going in to see if my PC based solution is cross-platform (and hopefully, to collect my bonus). I've every reason to believe it is as the problem I was experiencing was identical for both MAC and PC. B)

OP
P

PHPNooby

Shock Horror! The solution does not work on a MAC! I think that the abilirty to alter header and footer ino' as been completely removed from the MAC Mozilla!

Grimness. Is there another way around this problem (bearing in mind I am only an end user and have no access to any "behind the scenes" information".

OP
P

PHPNooby

I've managed to get things sorted and can now override the user prefs in NN7 for.... PC.

To get right to the root of the problem I had to find "comm.jar" in netscape/chrome/, open it up using Winzip and take out "printpageprefs.js" (or a similar file, I forget the exact name). In there was the very code that assigns the values to the Headr/Footer so by snipping it at the root I was able to remove this information from the PC version of NN7.

When I tried this on a mac though (albeit using stuffit and simpletext, rather than winzip and notepad) I just made Netscape unstable, it even failed to load at all at times!

So as soon as I find out how to sucsesfully edit comms.jar on a MAC then I'm sorted, it's just finding out how I do this that poses a problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.