G4 and MSWord X question

H

HopyMSU

Hi all,

Not sure exactly where to post this, but I wanted to see if someone has had a similar experience/issue with MS Word that I have been having.

I've been working with some large word files (20-30MBs) that have graphics in them (JPEGs). These Word files have been sent to me by Windows users who are using a current version of MS Office.

In these files, all of the graphics appear as large Red X's. I have searched extensively on Microsoft's website as well as the internet to find a solution. All I can find is info on removing plug-ins that Word loads on startup. Unfortunately, that does me no good because I have NO plugins.

I have made sure that in my Word settings that I haven't unclicked the display images preference -- in other words, it shouldn't be showing a placeholder.

These word pages also print like this, with the large red X.

System specs:
512 RAM
1.25GHZ G4

Just updated Word X.

I'm at a loss -- any help would be great.

Thanks!
Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Sounds to me like the people who created the images put a reference to the image from their computer into the Word doc. This means when you open it up its looking for an image on the user who created the file's directory, only on your machine. Make sure they are copying and pasting the image into the file

OP
H

HopyMSU

trpnmonkey41 said:
Sounds to me like the people who created the images put a reference to the image from their computer into the Word doc. This means when you open it up its looking for an image on the user who created the file's directory, only on your machine. Make sure they are copying and pasting the image into the file

That's what I initially thought, but I confirmed with the original file-creator that the pictures/graphics are the full files that are in the doc(s).

Might it be a memory issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Try downloading the trial version of office 2004 for mac and see if the problem still persists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
no i dont think it would be a memory issue....

OP
H

HopyMSU

Aptmunich said:
Try downloading the trial version of office 2004 for mac and see if the problem still persists.

Tried this and it still happpens, except now the red-x boxes are solid black. Help files on Word point to this being a memory issue, but I've got to wonder just how much memory one needs to view the images in these files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.