• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Question about selling a machine with AppleCare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I am saving up for a Mac Pro and will be putting my MacBook up for sale. I haven't activated the copy of AppleCare yet. When I go to sell, should I include a copy of the original receipt for proof when/where the machine was purchased so that AppleCare can be activated on the buyer's end? I'm just a little concerned about security as far as sharing a receipt goes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Doesn't the applecare follow the serial number of the machine ? If so why not activate when you've sold the machine and are about to transfer ownership

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Kilted1 said:
Doesn't the applecare follow the serial number of the machine ? If so why not activate when you've sold the machine and are about to transfer ownership

So you're saying activate AppleCare, sell it with the MacBook, then transfer ownership to the buyer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Thats about right. However check with apple first.
The Applecare plan does follow the machine and not the owner so I can't see anything but a win win situation.
I'd rather buy a 2nd hand machine with applecare than one without. You may even get a little more for it than a similar machine without too

As I said just take a quick call to Apple first

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.