can you recommend a printer?

A

abishagenaden

i'm looking to get a color printer that prints great-quality photos/images. i also need it to be able to scan and copy. based on what i've read, inkjet prints photos better than laserjets? my budget is for anything under $200. based on my experiences with several printer brands over the years, i'd like to stay away from '2nd tier' brands like lexmark. any recommendations people?
thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I just bought the HP Photosmart C5150... (Same as C5100) I really like this printer. It is an "all-in-one". The ink system is awesome, as it uses individual colors. So that if you've only run out of pink, you only need to go buy pink. VERY easy set-up, in fact I have it set-up wirelessly using Airport Express. CompUSA was $199.... Sam's club.. $179.

Check the links.

HP Website

CompUSA Website

271218779_b0b7148538_o.gif

Reaction score
I just got a HP Deskjet F340 All-in-one. It copies, scans, prints. It will print plain or photo paper. I picked it up at Walmart for only $69.00 (US). It works great for me.

OP
H

Hulk_SMASH

You may want to look into a colour laser. Sure they cost more than $200, in fact double that or more, but the cost of ink in the inkjets will bleed you dry. The toner costs TONS less in the long-run because it lasts longer than ink and even if you don't use it that often like I didn't, then the ink will dry out and still fore you to spend another $60-$80 for a colour and B&W cart. I hate inkjets....

OP
A

abishagenaden

Hulk_SMASH said:
You may want to look into a colour laser. Sure they cost more than $200, in fact double that or more, but the cost of ink in the inkjets will bleed you dry. The toner costs TONS less in the long-run because it lasts longer than ink and even if you don't use it that often like I didn't, then the ink will dry out and still fore you to spend another $60-$80 for a colour and B&W cart. I hate inkjets....

But I read that laser doesn't print pictures/photos/images as well as inkjet, true? Also, that laser printers often have 'hidden' expenses, such as when you need to replace the drum (?)....anyone else have an opinion on this?

Reaction score
Make sure you go to your local ink recycler/refiller dealer to check about the size of the ink cartridges in any printer you're interested in as to whether or not they are uneconomical. This is what I did and the guy was really helpful and explained to me that certain printer cartridges will cost more in the long run cos they are too small etc. The more cartridges there are the better, IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
abishagenaden said:
But I read that laser doesn't print pictures/photos/images as well as inkjet, true? Also, that laser printers often have 'hidden' expenses, such as when you need to replace the drum (?)....anyone else have an opinion on this?

inkjets are the way to go if you want to print pictures and things like it. They arent that expensive especially for the quality you get, its worth the money spent. I have the HP 3210 all-in-one, its not under $200 its around $275, but its a fantastic printer.

OP
H

Hulk_SMASH

PunkRockTuba said:
inkjets are the way to go if you want to print pictures and things like it. They arent that expensive especially for the quality you get, its worth the money spent. I have the HP 3210 all-in-one, its not under $200 its around $275, but its a fantastic printer.

Yeah, but how much is the ink to refill for both tanks, $40-$80? How long does a tank last? I'm done with inkjets, it's laser only for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Hulk_SMASH said:
Yeah, but how much is the ink to refill for both tanks, $40-$80? How long does a tank last? I'm done with inkjets, it's laser only for me.

The printer I have uses 6 seperate ink cartridges and its $65 to buy all of the ink. After you buy all 6 cartridges its only $10 for each color and $15 for the black, so the real expense is when you first buy ink. Theres nothing wrong with laser printers, but if you want to print digital images the quality is poor compared to inkjets. As far as how long the ink lasts, I never really write it down, but ive had my printer for a few months and im not even close to needing to replace a cartridge. Choose whatever you like best, but im just trying to tell the poster, if they want digital prints, inkjets are the way to go.

OP
A

abishagenaden

After some research, I've decided to go with the Canon Pixma iP6700D -- anyone have any good/bad experiences with this puppy?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.