testing wireless speeds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I just bought a wireless router and I was wondering if there is any way you can test how many mbps you are getting when you are connected wirelessly. I have heard that most high end wireless routers never get anywhere near 54mbps and usually only achieve around 16 at best. I don't care if mine is slow, i just want to know what it is.

Thanks,

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
( Black ) MacBook
google it down my friend , just type internet speed testers on google

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
And 16mbp is faster then most ISPs

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Communications 4.6 megabits per second
Storage 555.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.8 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

So does that mean that I am getting 4.6 out of my router's 54 mbps wireless capabilities?

Thanks in advance.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now its...

Communications 11.2 megabits per second
Storage 1.3 megabytes per second
1MB file download 0.8 seconds
Subjective rating Unbelievable

Communications 5.9 megabits per second
Storage 719.6 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.4 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

Communications 11.2 megabits per second
Storage 1.3 megabytes per second
1MB file download 0.8 seconds
Subjective rating Unbelievable

Weird that it fluctuates so much and I am not moving around the room.

But what exactly does it mean that it is flucuating, and does it really mean that I am only getting 1/5 of the wireless capabliity at best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
( Black ) MacBook
i guess ur internet provider didnt give u a fixed speed service, here i have a perminent 2 MBpS 365 days 24hrs a day , slow yes , but its always that way which makes me feel better than being on a random bandwidth

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well now i am doing a separate test that is continuous. I think that one was a little shaky. Right now I am hugging the 5.18-5.38 area pretty consistently. I would say that is pretty good. I haven't dipped below 5.0 since the first couple of seconds. Its been going for 5 mins now.

I guess that means that I am getting 1/10th of what I could be getting from my router.

Which makes me wonder, how can they (being router companies) legitimately market these routers at 54 mbps per second? I know what my internet connection is when I plug it into the wall here (nearly 50 mbps consistently) so how can they advertise 54mbps when they don't do nearly that?

And before you say that I am lying about my internet connection being 50mbps I'll tell you that I am on a college campus, and my dorm is one of the slowest connections on campus. If I were to go to some of the new dorms I would get 100mbps. Gotta love in state tutition :)

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i just finished the test.

The test consistently gave me higher and higher ratings. Near the end of the test i was getting 7.5 mbps which is rather fast apparently. I hope this helps people in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
( Black ) MacBook
dude , my dads office has a 100MBpS so the speed isnt an issue , its weird that u are getting turtel slow internet when u can have that much speed , what router are u using ??

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what's wrong. I am not actually getting the 50mbps. I just hooked up the router in my friend's room down the hall and it works like a charm in there! i am definitely calling someone on monday about this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It can't measure the speed of the router, thats measuring the speed of your internet connection

You can test the speed of the router by transferring a file from one machine to another that are both 802.11g compatible and that are both showing maximum strength. Open activity monitor and look at the speed of the data going out of the machine that initiated the transfer and the in speed on the other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
trpnmonkey41 said:
It can't measure the speed of the router, thats measuring the speed of your internet connection

You can test the speed of the router by transferring a file from one machine to another that are both 802.11g compatible and that are both showing maximum strength. Open activity monitor and look at the speed of the data going out of the machine that initiated the transfer and the in speed on the other

Also using a big file will take longer so you can get an average if its fluctuating, so maybe a short home movie, or a folder of pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
trpnmonkey41 said:
And 16mbp is faster then most ISPs

Mbps or MBps

big diff

16mbps is like 2MB which is alot slower then most ISP's these days.

A 54mbps router can transfer speeds at a max speed of 6.75MB/s , that speed is also split between as many users connect to the router most likely, pending on router.

Your campus likely has multiple T3's or T'1 or even an OC3 connection, which we are then talking about MB not mb.

The router makers are not lying, their speeds are given asd they advertise, otherwise they would be in court by now.

a 100mb network (as in your network card) can only do 12.5MB/s in thery, but then you have overhead of protocol's so your more likely to get around 10MB /s, same with wireless routers, also what ever encryption you have turned on can also slow down speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am sorry, I don't know the difference between MB and mb can you clarify for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! Very helpful

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.