Getting '|' character on RDP

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can help me with a quick query .. I'm connected to my windows pc via RDP from my MacBook, and am trying to enter the '|' character (next to the quotes key on the MacBook keyboard) On the pc, this is entered as a tilde (~) character.

How do I enter this on a pc over RDP? Ideally, if someone has a link to a list of the character mappings that would be grand!

tia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
on windos you press shift + \ to get | if OS X has a "shift" type key try that....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
find the ~ character on the keyboard and type that and it might come up with |

If that makes sense :)

OP
F
Reaction score
sadly I've tried both already, and neither work.

thanks for the suggestions though ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
strange - I connect to my XP laptop from my Mac using Synergy and it doesn't lose the keyboard layout.
Not sure what to suggest I'm afraid!

Ad

OP
F
Reaction score
pray tell, what is synergy? if it's an alternative to the MS RDP program then count me in as it is terrible! got a link to anything I can take a look at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its just a keyboard/mouse sharing piece of software. I'm networked with it aswell for files etc, just means I can wap my mouse of the right of my main screen into the left of my laptop screen.

Link here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP | 2 GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 320 GB External | Canon 20D and lotsof lenses
Not sure if that's quite what fruvos wants. If he's using RDP it probably means the system is located elsewhere (I only know because I RDP into work systems from home on my Mac).

I haven't had any key problem errors but maybe you can check out a keymapper? Not sure if your version of Windows has it or not or you can possibly DL a freeware/open source app somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.