about to buy a new imac g5

J

jeffreyz

im thinking of buying a new imac g5 intel. is there much different in speed with the 2ghz & 2.16ghz processor. And the 1gb & 2gb memory. i do alot of video editing. :p

OP
S

sursuciofla

jeffreyz said:
im thinking of buying a new imac g5 intel. is there much different in speed with the 2ghz & 2.16ghz processor. And the 1gb & 2gb memory. i do alot of video editing. :p

And you won't notice a difference in processor speed, it is only 160mhz. Screen size and resolution is the big selling points in the comparison. 17" or 20" as well as higher screen resolution and screen real eastate in the 2.16ghz iMac.

From the iMac memory section on Apple.com

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...6014000/wo/1F6zf0SxGg6Z3v1yrCF2LZBeZqP/2.?p=0

The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. Increasing the amount of memory in your iMac is an easy way to improve performance.

How much memory is right for you?
Choose the standard 1GB of memory if you'll be photo editing, gaming, creating illustrations or building complex presentations.
The 2GB option is ideal if you plan to use your system regularly for sound design, video editing, DVD authoring, animation and intensive gaming.
Max out your memory with the 3GB option to enjoy the highest performance for everything you do.
Your iMac uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today--667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
hmmm wow you must have the ultimate computer! This imac your buying must be real impressive to have a G5 processor and an intel one. That is on seperate mobo's right?
HAHA i am joking around there is only an intel imac or a g5 imac. No g5 intel. But they are both fast and get 2 gb for video.

OP
S

sursuciofla

Also Intel Core 2 Duo not G5 Intel. G5 is the predecessor to the Intel iMacs. As mentioned above...so this is an edit since I see it was mentioned before I hit reply. Just friendly banter! Also edited my previous post with more info on the 2.0 vs. 2.16

OP
J

jeffreyz

MacMania55 said:
hmmm wow you must have the ultimate computer! This imac your buying must be real impressive to have a G5 processor and an intel one. That is on seperate mobo's right?
HAHA i am joking around there is only an intel imac or a g5 imac. No g5 intel. But they are both fast and get 2 gb for video.
ha ha ha pick on the slow kid :dive:

OP
J

jeffreyz

MacMania55 said:
i have a 700mhz g4 right now is the new intel gonna be fast ( like night to day)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.