Some questions from an Apple newbie (Tiger/RAM upgrade...)

J

Jan_Itor

This is a multifaceted post, so may the admins have mercy on me if I managed to post in the wrong sub-forum.

I'm a long time PC user with no Mac experience. (Well, my first computer was a Macintosh 128K, but no Mac love since then.) I recently acquired an iBook G3 Dual USB 500Mhz, 256 MB RAM, CD-ROM which runs OS X 10.2.whatever.

Well, God help me, after using it for a few days I went Mac-crazy and purchased Tiger without noticing that it's a DVD and not a CD. (I also purchased a Mighty Mouse without realizing that it's configuration tools don't work on anything before 10.3.whatever. Tiger was purchased so I could update Safari and iTunes :p)

I've read about using another Mac to using Target Disk mode. Well, I have no friends that have a Mac that has a DVD drive. I've also read about using an iPod as a bootable device for installing Tiger to a system that doesn't have a DVD drive using FireWire. In every instance of reading about that method, they mention putting an image of Tiger on the iPod whilst using another Apple computer. Not only do I not know someone with a DVD capable Mac, no one I know even owns a Mac.

What I do have is a PC with DVD drive, an iPod Nano (The 4GB variety), a FireWire cable, and a USB cable (the PC has no FireWire). Now, can I make an image of the disk using my PC (running Windows, the Vista breed) and "burn" that image to my Nano via USB? (After backing up all my albums of Heart/Pat Benatar/Blondie and formatting of course)

That's the end of my "probably in the wrong section" question. My next question is what kind of RAM does my iBook take? Is it just standard laptop SODIMMs? I ask because 1) As stated earlier my RAM is 256MB and from what I hear, that would equate Tiger to an emergency brake for my laptop's speed. and 2) At my workplace we have old laptop memory laying around and I'm curious as to whether or not they would work. (I don't know if they're SODIMMs, but that's standard laptop memory, correct?)

Thanks in advance for your responses, I just want to get up and running with this "test-Mac" while I save up for my dream Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This URL will help on the RAM and maybe other things with your G3 500 iBook.

http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook3.html

it's a PC100 SoDimm. Depending on which configuration you have, there is 128 Megs soldered to the Main Board and a PC100 SoDimm slot that will take one 512Meg PC100 SoDimm. On the Tiger install problem I am doing some thinking and will get back to you if I figure something out. I was thinking maybe an external FireWire DVD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Also, if you bought the Tiger set from a retail store, Apple has a CD exchange program where you send them the DVD and they send you back CDs. There should have been a form in the box with that info on it. I remember reading that form in the box back when i bought Tiger from Compusa.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.